Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
great_vc
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vassilis

server discovery failed Error: Disk extents are not specified for the volume 'C:\'

Post by great_vc »

Hi,

Just added a PROXY server on a different location The machine has been added successfully on the managed servers and then as a backup proxy.
It is a new VM (VMWARE) on our already managed infrastructure.

After that i get on the Volume Discovery Session Type, Job Name Host Discovery, all success except for that machine:

Code: Select all

21/10/2021 08:25:21 Error    [SERVERNAME] Microsoft Windows server discovery failed Error: Disk extents are not specified for the volume 'C:\'.
21/10/2021 08:25:47 Error    Host discovery failed
It has only one disk.

-Vassilis
B&R v12, Suite
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: server discovery failed Error: Disk extents are not specified for the volume 'C:\'

Post by veremin »

According to our forum rules, it's required to include support case ID while posting about technical issues.

Kindly open a ticket with our support team and let us know its ID.

Without case number, the topic will eventually be removed by moderators.

Thanks.
great_vc
Enthusiast

Re: server discovery failed Error: Disk extents are not specified for the volume 'C:\'

Post by great_vc »

This is a forum
I don't get the support id case. If i open a case i do not need to post to the forum for a problem that maybe 10 people know already the solution or VEEAM people know that this is a common error and it just needs to click there.

What is the point of this then ? I support case i will be assigned an agent and he/she will solve it, having to maintain two threads (here and ticket) is redundant.

Maybe you should consider the forum to be private for enterprise customers upon validation.

I will open a ticket, i don't mind, the workload is on your ticket system and not on me, while this MAYBE it is an easy reply.
Opening a ticket for every hiccup is crying wolf.
B&R v12, Suite
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

This is a forum with certain rules in place, those rules require you to have a support ticket while posting about technical issues, because such problems almost always need deep log and virtual environment investigation which cannot be done via forum correspondence.

Thank you for your understanding.
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

also i see A LOT of posts without support id and people replying with KB

so something is off with what you are saying, we have full license. If the forum is not for helping from the community then make a requirement on post for a support ID, although having a support ID completely defeats the purpose of the forum. As is said i do not mind or care, i will open support ids on every problem. Is is my right as an enterprise user with valid contract. The workload will be on your Support Agents if someone is opening a ticket "i cannot click on that button" which the reply could be "please use your mouse".

You should definitely reevaluate your rules.
-Vassilis
B&R v12, Suite
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you had faced the known issue, you would have also got a KB article as a reply. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

So, kindly, proceed with the requested procedure.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

great_vc wrote: Oct 21, 2021 10:19 ami do not need to post to the forum for a problem that maybe 10 people know already the solution or VEEAM people know that this is a common error
For every common error, there's an existing forum topic already. So you're correct, there's no need to post: just use forum search to find solutions to all common issues. But if you can't find anything in 15 years worth of content, then your issue is most definitely NOT common :)
great_vc wrote: Oct 21, 2021 10:19 amWhat is the point of this then ? I support case i will be assigned an agent and he/she will solve it, having to maintain two threads (here and ticket) is redundant
This is exactly why in general, you should avoid posting technical issues here altogether. We explain this in great details following the red link displayed when you click New Topic.
great_vc wrote: Oct 21, 2021 11:01 amhaving a support ID completely defeats the purpose of the forum
Please take a moment to read about the purpose of this forum following the same link, before you claim something is defeating it. If anything, this knowledge will help you to use this powerful Veeam resource in the correct manner going forward.
great_vc wrote: Oct 21, 2021 11:01 ami do not mind or care, i will open support ids on every problem. Is is my right as an enterprise user with valid contract. The workload will be on your Support Agents if someone is opening a ticket "i cannot click on that button" which the reply could be "please use your mouse".
Don't worry about our support org load. First, it is 100 times bigger organization than the number of people behind this forum. Second, you will find that when opening a support case, you are automatically provided matching KB articles for any known issues and common questions. Our support folks create them specifically so that they don't have to answer "I cannot click on that button" type of questions over and over again.
great_vc wrote: Oct 21, 2021 11:01 amalso i see A LOT of posts without support id and people replying with KB
Yes, it's unfortunate that many people choose to ignore forum rules completely. Instead of trying to open a support case and getting those KB articles provided to them automatically, they steal limited resources of the team behind this forum by forcing them to reply with the same KBs manually.
great_vc
Enthusiast

Post by great_vc »

Thank you Gostev for the detailed information.
I have of course opened a ticket and wait patiently for the solution.
B&R v12, Suite