Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
insel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Inacker

Set FQDN for outgoing e-mail

Post by insel »

Hello.

How can i set a fully qualified domain name ("backup.example.com" instead of "backup") for outgoing e-mail notifications? I have not found an option for doing this.

I tried to set a FQDN on the windows machine, but mail is still send out without FQDN. Because of that our mail server complains: "5.5.2 <VeeamBackup>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname".

I use Veeam 7.0.0.690 on Windows 8.

Thanks for any hint,
Sebastian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Set FQDN for outgoing e-mail

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sebastian,

Not sure there is a way to change that, as Veeam backup server might not be joined to the domain, thus only hostname is used. Let me check if Veeam ONE can send backup email notification in the way you need or not.

Thanks!
MichalJ
Lurker
Full Name: Michal J.

[Feature request] Seting FQDN hostname in notifications

Post by MichalJ »

Hello!

I have a problem sending e-mail notifications from Veeam Backup & Replication. Our mail server is sending this kind of error:

Code: Select all

Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname (System.Net.Mail.SmtpException) 
As you can see, our mail server requires FQDN hostname. In Windows I can only set simple hostname without dots (like "Veeam") and then add a domain name (like "company.com"). Entire PC name is correct ("Veeam.company.com") and would meet mail server requirements, but Veeam is only sending a simple Windows hostname "Veeam" in e-mail notification. I would like to request a feature to customize hostname sent by Veeam software and force sending FQDN hostname.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Michal and welcome to the forums.
Thanks for the feedback!
dahdco
Novice
Full Name: Doug Heckman

Post by dahdco »

We essential have the same issue. We don't outright require the HELO to have FQDN but if it doesn't it's treated as suspect and if pretty much any email gets sent through the host is blacklisted automatically. It would be great to be able to have the option to force it to use FQDN.
w.hackl
Lurker
Full Name: W.Hackl

Feature Request : Set SMTP Helo String / Sending Emails

Post by w.hackl »

Hi there ,
is it possible to add the ability of defining the SMTP HELO ( currently the hostname of the windows machine ) in the Backup an Replication Console ?
Using the SMTP Message Service most of the SpamFilter deny the transport if the hostname is not fully qualified.
Regards Wolfgang
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Wolfgang,

Didn't find any ways to configure HELO at the moment, moved your post to the existing discussions on this issue.

Thanks!