Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

SingleFile restore permissions on Windows machine

Post by sandsturm »

Hi all

I couldn't find a documentation or something telling me what minimal permissions are required to be able to restore a single file into a windows server with veeam. Is one of the predefined windows roles sufficient, the Backup Operators role for example? I don't want to create an account, which has administrative permissions on all our virtual machines in the company. Does this account needs only the required ntfs permissions to read/write files on windows servers or are there any other permissions required?

thx,
sandsturm
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: SingleFile restore permissions on Windows machine

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

The account used to run restore session should have access/permission to the files you're trying to restore, it doesn't have to be a local admin on all VMs. Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Thank you for your fast answer. NTFS permissions only was my opinion too, but if I try without local admin rights I receive the follwoing error message:
Failed to install guest agent control. Cannot connect to remote SCM database. Machine: [servername]. Requested rights: [0x80000000]. Win32 error:Access is denied. Code: 5 Failed to execute vSphere API command: [Cannot connect to remote SCM database. Machine: []. Requested rights: [0x80000000]. Win32 error:Access is denied. Code: 5].
Therefore I need more permissions on the host, but I want to know exactly what the minimum permissions are, that I need.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

It seems that attempt to connect through the network has failed due to lack of permissions to access in admin$, thus it has been switched to VIX (vSphere API) and here the admin permissions is needed by VMware requirements.
Anyway, it's worth to contact the support team and provide them with the logs. Thanks!