Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ratcha
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Slow backups on large VM's - any updates?

Post by Ratcha »

Any updates on resolving backup throughput issues with large VM's? It's been a while since I checked as there weren't many solutions being suggested at the time. I'm hoping that's changed. Upgrading to 7.0 didn't resolve the issue.

Throughput drop for the large job (as it's running)

Bottleneck statistics for the large job.

Performance of a smaller job
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Re: Slow backups on large VM's - any updates?

Post by sbbots »

I think you should post your backup setup. It is sort of hard to troubleshoot without those details.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Slow backups on large VM's - any updates?

Post by Gostev »

As far as I know, in all previous similar cases recently the issue was caused by the backup storage.

2TB is not a very large VM to be honest, we have customers backing up 5-10x bigger VMs and not having similar issues. Plus, according to the throughput graph above, the issue happened in the very beginning anyway. Are both of those VMs located on the same storage, and being backed up to the same repository?

At this time our support has pretty advanced performance analysis tools available. There is also a special logging mode that will produce extended performance statistics that should be fed to those tools, this will help to identify the issue in your case.

Also, please include support case ID for this issue, otherwise the topic will be removed by the moderators during the next forum clean up.