Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Small hitch with the new separated B&R console

Post by ekisner »

First of all, let me first say that this is one of my favourite features. I now log into the B&R server once or twice a day rather than all day long - and I took away logon rights to that server for a great many people (thank you for finally giving me the ammunition to do this!). Next I'll say that this is not really a problem because I can just log into the server to accomplish the task.

That said, there's a bit of a hitch with the new console: restoring windows deduplicated data.

The windows FLR requires a dedup-capable OS - for example, Win2012R2, to restore from a deduped volume on something like Win2012R2. Since Microsoft doesn't (officially) support dedup on desktop editions, a restore of that form of data will fail unless done from a server.

Like I said, not a big problem or anything, but if Veeam has plans for a workaround to increase the flexibility of their new and amazing desktop console, that'd be cool too.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Small hitch with the new separated B&R console

Post by Gostev »

Glad to hear you're liking the new standalone console!

I don't see how we can workaround this requirement at the moment.
However, also consider using Enterprise Manager for restores instead.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Re: Small hitch with the new separated B&R console

Post by ekisner »

Well the workaround would be insane, you'd probably need to develop your own windows dedup compatible driver. Which, speaking personally, I think I'd rather stab myself in the face with a rusty fork.

The Enterprise Manager UI sounds like a much easier way to work around that!