Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
a_user
Influencer
Liked: never

Snapshot Operation exceeded the time holding off I/O?

Post by a_user »

Can someone help me to understand this?

CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-2997", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True"
Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

This is a newly converted file server that has just been virtualized. I have about 70 other vm's part of this job that have/had no problems. I think this is the first time I have experienced this issue. This server also runs Symantec CPS but not against the c: drive. I only backup the c: drive on all VM's. Its a windows 2008 server. The only consideration I can see is that I choose not to use vss. This is because half the time jobs fail or display warnings and there is a mix and match of linux servers along with the windows ones so I turned it off.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Snapshot Operation exceeded the time holding off I/O?

Post by Gostev »

Hello, basically this known VMware quiescence issue. Search for the "Cannot create a quiesced snapshot" error above on the VMware KB, there are a number of articles describing this issues and how to fix it. There are a number of potential causes for this.

Generally we recommend to use Veeam VSS integration for VM quiescence, it does not have these issues. This is enabled on the Consistency step of the job's wizard. If you have any issues with Veeam VSS failing, we will be able to troubleshoot and provide support for those, because this is our own code.