Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Some restore points were not processed behaviour on Backup Copy Jobs

Post by spiritie » 1 person likes this post

Hi Veeam

I wanted to follow up on a previous post, which is slightly related, but I wanted to break this into it's own thread on this particular behaviour in Veeam. veeam-backup-replication-f2/some-vms-we ... 64489.html

Please not this entire post is only discussing the: Immediate copy (mirroring) type of backup copy jobs.
Newest build of Veeam v11 as of today: 11.0.1.1261 P20211211

We are a MSP managing a few different VBR installations at customers sites as well as our in house VBR servers.
We have our internal tool to collect data about VBR jobs that we present on a webpage, we also use backup reports we receive on emails (only warnings & errors), so we receive quite a few jobs that we need to analyze and judge if we need to do anything about.

The particular Veeam behaviour we just can't understand why Veeam has decided to make is the Some restore points were not processed that triggers a warning on the backup copy job, in 99% of the cases this is not a problem. In our opinion this should not trigger a warning on the job under the following circumstances which usually is why we see this message:

An example is that a quick backup has been run on source backup job, let's say there is 10 VM's in the backup job. Now the backup copy jobs discovers a new restore points and starts copying the new restore point. This leads to the job state turning into a warning, because 1/10 VM's were copied during this session, the rest of the 9 VM's will now be in a warning state. In the job session on the VM's, it will now show No restore points found which will trigger a warning Task was not processed in the current session which will turn the overall jobs into a warning state.

This will also happen if a new VM has been added to the job but fails for some reason, no backup exists of the VM, but the backup copy job will try to copy them, but since there is no restore points, this warning will be triggered again.

Screenshot example of this:
Backup job healthy, 100% success

Backup Copy healthy, 100% success:

Quick Backup:

Backup Copy warning state after Quick Backup:

Are Veeam looking into changing this behaviour in the future or v12?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Some restore points were not processed behaviour on Backup Copy Jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Gert,

1. During quick backup restore point is created only for the specific VM, so backup copy is transferring only this particular restore point. In such case the only strange/unexpected behavior is warning notification for other jobs. Quick backup was performed for 1 machine out of 10 within a single job, right?
2. Can you please clarify how the retention is configured in the backup copy job (based restore points or daily retention)?
3. Any chance you have a PRO monitor enabled?

Thank you in advance!
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

1.) Correct. You can see the example from my screenshots where I did this with on a job with 74 VM, it follow the flow of how this happens, from the jobs being in a success state, then quick backup is ran, and after that backup copy has picked up the new restore point, it's then in a warning state, this leads to warning on 73 of the VM's. (A bit confusing because I wrote in my example a scenario with 10 VM's in a job)
2.) Based on restore points, we don't use the "days" feature. The jobs retention is configured the same as the source backup job (31 restore points)
3.) This is not a RPO monitor warning, our RPO threshold is set to 2 days.

I would be glad to showcase this through a websession if this would help clarify this for Veeam.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Gert! Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this behavior right now but we plan to improve alerts and notifications in the upcoming v12 and this warning should go away.