Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
akelly04
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Kelly

Specifying Mount Server for a Cloud Repository

Post by akelly04 »

I have an issue where the Veeam Backup & Recovery (VBR) server is running Windows Server 2016, and thus also ReFS version 3.1. It is backing up a server that's running Windows Server 2019, and thus ReFS version 3.5. The 2019 server's D:\ drive is formatted with ReFS. Because the version of ReFS on the VBR server is lower than the version the drive was formatted with, if we try and use the VBR server as the mount server for the local (that is on the disks in the BDR appliance) backup repository it cannot see the data on the D:\ drive of the 2019 server when doing a file-level recovery (FLR).

This is an issue I've run into in the past, and I know the solution is to simply add the 2019 server as a mount server, and then change the backup repository to use that as its mount server. This fixes the issue for retore points located in that on-site backup repository. However, I'm now in a position where I need to try and recover a file from a cloud repository, and I don't see an option on it to specify a mount server.

So here's my question, how do I go about either a:) Changing the mount server for the cloud repository so that it doesn't try and use the VBR server or b) Get around the ReFS version problem some other way.

I know I could install VBR on a Windows Server 2019 machine and then connect it to the cloud connect tenant, thus giving it access to the cloud repository, and then do my FLR with this new 2019 VBR server being the mount server. However, I know from past bad experiences, bad things can happen when you have too many things trying to talk to the same cloud connect tenant/repository at the same time. I'd rather not go through all of the work of removing the repository from the original 2016 VBR server and then having to add it back in and remap the backup copy job to the cloud repository after using the 2019 VBR; it just seems like a lot of work to restore a couple of files. So I'm hoping you smart folks can help me figure out a way to avoid this.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to provide any additional info requested.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Specifying Mount Server for a Cloud Repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
I know I could install VBR on a Windows Server 2019 machine and then connect it to the cloud connect tenant
also Windows Server 2022 would be possible. But yes, overall you are already spot on, that there is no way to configure a mount server manually for a cloud connect repository.

Best regards,
Hannes