Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
carussell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris Russell

SQL 2017 and VBR setup issues

Post by carussell »

I have installed SQL 2017 express on a separate server to leverage another program that already needed it. The install of VBR community errors out at the system config check saying I am missing required features. MS System CLR types for SQL2014, SQL 2014 management objects, and Report viewer 2015. An attempt to install errors out as well.

I swear I have seen this before, but a search can't find anything. how do I install these, where do I get them for 2017Express, or how do I get past this to get the VBR stuff installed on THIS server.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Chris
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SQL 2017 and VBR setup issues

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
is it correct, that the remote SQL server has nothing do your setup problem?

If you use the setup / wizard, then VBR installs all components on it's own. Manual installation of the things you mention is only required with unattended installations.

If the setup still fails, then please open a support case and post the case number here for reference.

In general, a remote SQL server is no problem. Just make sure that you can connect remotely (I always verify with SQL management studio)

Best regards,
Hannes
carussell
Influencer

Post by carussell »

SQL Server works with MS VAMT connected from a different (third) server, so I can pretty much rule the SQL server out as the issue.

I downloaded the VBR image to the VEEAM server and mounted it, then ran setup from the mounted image. That is where I get the failure. So I am using the wizard. I just assumed maybe I was missing something and figured I would post here prior to opening a support case.

Case #03861661 was created.
carussell
Influencer

Post by carussell » 2 people like this post

I have now been able to complete the install. Perhaps not in the way or manner that I intended, but I resolved at least the problem of failed install. Found a local policy that prohibits external media installs. not sure why Veeam trips it when lots of other CD and DVD installs work fine, but something in Veeam triggers the policy and fails the install. Copying the DVD to a local folder on the install server fixes that issue.

I did however have to install the old versions of the 3 software components it wanted (MS System CLR types for SQL2014, SQL 2014 management objects, and Report viewer 2015). Installing versions for 2017 wouldn't remove the "failed minimum requirements" error. I installed the 2017 versions with no luck, then I found the folders for the old versions on the mounted ISO image. When I ran one of the installers I got a "Policy Prohibits Installation" error and I was able to sort it out from there to get the old versions installed. That removed the requirements error, and I was able to continue the install from there.

Bottom line, we can close this, but there is still probably work that needs to be done