Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
babine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julien Moser

SQL database full

Post by babine »

Hello,

I found thousend of topic on this subject , but nothing clear with clear instructions to follow.
Can somebody explain to me which options i've got when i get this message error .
"Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.Backup.Model.OIBsSensitiveInfo'.'CI_Backup.Model.OIBsSensitiveInfo_oib_id' in database 'VeeamBackup' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full"

I have understand that is the limit of 10 GB for the SQL Express that is excedeed.
But now, which option i need to take ?
Reduce the VEEAM history ? Shrink the database ? Create a new one ?

Best,
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: SQL database full

Post by chris.childerhose »

If you have the option, I would move over to a full SQL Server, but if you need to stay on Express, you may need to reduce the History or other things recorded in the DB. This explains the migration process - https://www.veeam.com/kb1889
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

You would need to find out why the database reached it's limit. It could be the history, but it's also very likely that it's the tape catalog; if you have such jobs. Cleaning up the later one isn't so easy as you'll use your catalogs.

Best would be to contact support as they'll be able to check which tables are filling up the database and if there's a way to shrink or cleanup those.
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK » 1 person likes this post

Your options are mostly dictated by the current and future state of the database:
0.5) Create a backup of the current DB before you apply any changes;
1) Check the configuration and settings, engage support team to guide you through the process to identify what's causing the growth and what optimizations may be applicable depending on your scenario;
2) If the growth of the database is driven by the current config and anticipated to grow further, the options come down to
a. Upgrade to SQL Edition that lifts the 10GB limit (https://www.veeam.com/kb4024)
b. Consider switching over to PostgreSQL with the upcoming v12 release. Might be less suitable for the immediate resolution if things are broken already due to the limit reached on the database size. This is where #1 becomes critical to tackle down first.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
babine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julien Moser

Post by babine »

Thank's all.

I have opennend a ticket on VEEAM support !
I close the ticket.