Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

sql & license

Post by MarcinS »

Hi ,

i plan to move current installation of veeam backup server from virtual machine to physical machine. I will try to use that link https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 (with part "Performing migration using Configuration Backup" as i want to achieve that i will upgrade (by installing brand new) sql which veeam is using now 2008r2 to 2012.

and here come mine question ...when i install brand new veeam backup server and installation process will install for me sql :

- it will install express version or full ?
- is that installation of sql is licensed by veeam or i must provide sql licence ?

thx for info
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Re: sql & license

Post by Cragdoo »

Express, (although you could install your own version of SQL standard and use that, should you wish).

If you choose to install Express, then the license is covered as part of the install, and obviously if you choose to use SQL standard then you will need to provide the SQL license.

Does that answer your questions?
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by MarcinS »

yep is clear ..i can choose express from veeam or use any supported version with mine license.

Is any disadvantage of situation that veeam backup server is on 1 server and SQL hosting veeam db is on another server ?

I know that our actual backup server (where sql is inside the same machine) is often heavily utilized. I ask cause i afraid that when make what i plan and split "actual situation" into 2 servers (backup server and sql on different servers full utlization "goes" to server hosting sql server cause i provide real strong server for backup server ;) and want that server be utilized. ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The backup server is heavily utilized in case it also acts as a proxy and/or repository server (which is by default). Veeam SQL database doesn't require much resources, unless it is really huge (i.e. the environment is big).
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

MarcinS wrote: Is any disadvantage of situation that veeam backup server is on 1 server and SQL hosting veeam db is on another server ?
The big disadvantage, in my opinion, is that if there is a network issue (or any other issue) between your Veeam server and your SQL server when they are separate you will have issues with Veeam being able to do its job. If you are hosting your SQL database for Veeam on a server that is lost in a disaster scenario, using Veeam to recover gets more complex.

Which is why I like to keep the SQL database local to the management server.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect