Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

SQL log-shipping, restore period /going beyond

Post by mdiver »

Assume a SQL Server VM being backed up daily on image level and in addion having a log shipping enabled to run each hour.
Now lets say something breaks the database leading to an image level backup with a corrupt DB inside.

Now it would be nice to restore back to an earlier image level backup than the most recent one but still be able to roll-forward the logs to the most recent state.
Seems this is not possible as the SQL Explorer GUI states a restore period of exactly between the image level backup until just before the next image level backup.

From a log perspective I would not have expected any road blocks. They should be sequential and consistent with an older image level backup also.

Besides that: is there a way to grab the raw logs from the VLB?

Thanks,
Mike
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SQL log-shipping, restore period /going beyond

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, that's an open feature request also for a different use-case: there are customers who like to recover a standby machine to "STANDBY" and then regularly apply logs.

We count your request +1 đź‘Ť

Best regards,
Hannes
jotge
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Groschopp

[MERGED]Feature Request: Restore current state of an Oracle or SQL database after an inconsistent database has been dete

Post by jotge »

Hello!

During a discussion with our database admins on likely recovery scenarios, we identified an issue. Currently, it is not possible with Veeam to restore a database to a current state if you want to select an older restore point as a base and then use all existing transaction log backups for a point-in-time restore. However, this is exactly what is needed if the last known consistent state of a database is only available in an older restore point.

There was already a request from me on the topic to Veeam Support under Case # 05441372 where it was confirmed that Veeam does not support this type of restore.

Here are the details.

Example Scenario (applies to Oracle and SQL).

Job Configuration:
- Database server is backed up daily at 7pm image-based/agent-based.
- On Friday a synthetic full backup is performed and on all other days an incremental backup is performed.
- A transaction log backup is also performed every 60 minutes.

Failure Mode:
- A weekly consistency test performed on Sunday at 6 a.m. within the database instance detects an inconsistent database.

Recovery Request:
- Restore the affected database from the last known backup where the database was in a consistent state, plus apply all transaction logs backed up since then to bring the database to the last available state.
I.e. incremental backup from a week ago Saturday at 7pm + all transaction logs that were backed up.
Note: This type of restore is supported by the vendor for both Oracle and SQL.

The Problem:
Veeam, when selecting the restore time point for a point-in-time restore of a previously selected restore point, only supports the times between the previous restore point and the following restore point, if available.
So in the above scenario, about 7 days worth of data would be lost since I can only select a point-in-time based on a backed up consistent database up to a maximum of Sunday 60 minutes before the daily incremental backup.

My feature request

When selecting a restore point in Veeam for an Oracle or SQL database restore, the point-in-time restore should extend the "Available Restore Period" to the most current point in time - which is available via existing transaction log backups.

best regards, Jan
kaffeine
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Espresso Doppio

Post by kaffeine »

Hello mdiver,

there''s already a few topics on this subject on the forum:
# post355111.html
# veeam-backup-replication-f2/recovery-of ... 35737.html

More granular restore options and a better control around MSSQL Transaction Logs is definitely something that Veeam B&R is still lacking. Let's just hope such features don't remain on the Backlog for much more years adrift.

Regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

@jotge

Hello Jan

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I moved your topic to this one.
We are aware of this requests ( see the answer above from my colleagues Hannes).
We count your request as +1.

Thanks Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jotge
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Groschopp

Post by jotge »

Hello,

is there any news here?

Thank you and best regards