Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zid
Novice
Liked: never

SQL Maintenance Plans with Veeam transaction log backup

Post by Zid »

Hello!

On our MS SQL server (ver 13.0.5026) we have the following maintenance backup plan:
Backup type: full
Databases: master,msdb,productiondata
Compress backup is selected.
Copy-only backup is NOT selected.

We want Veeam to make transaction log backups every 5 minutes. For this we will change the recovery model of databases to full (currently on simple)

I have the following questions
1. Do I have to change the recovery model to full on the System Databases?
2. Can I keep the current maintenance plan after I setup Veeam for transaction log backup?
3. Can I keep the simple recovery model on databases I dont want to crate transacation log backup from?

Thank you for your help,
Zid
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: SQL Maintenance Plans with Veeam transaction log backup

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Zid -

Not sure if you have seen this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

1. You do not have to change it to full on system databases.
2. Yes, you can and you have 3 options with what Veeam will do with the SQL Logs:
A. Truncate logs: Applicable option. Veeam performs “backup to NUL” for log files on guest.
B. Do not truncate logs: Applicable but not recommended to use without native or 3rd party means of log truncation or backup – otherwise, logs will increase in size.
C. Backup logs periodically: Applicable option. Log backup files (.BAK) are copied from the temporary folder on SQL Server to Veeam repository. As soon as data is copied to target, .BAK files are deleted from source

3. Yes.

For 2B: That is text right out of the user guide, giving a caution about the log management. I don't know the steps that your SQL Server Maintenance Plan has - but sounds like it has a log management handling. So I think 2B is what you want.
Zid
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Zid »

Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

I want to achive 2.C scenario. I want veeam to handle the log truncation.
The maintenance plan is basically what I descriebed in my first post, but it cleans up database backup files older than 1 week first.
I have been told by the company who manages the SQL server that, Veeam periodic log backup and this maintenance plan will not conflict eath other, but i'm sceptic. That's why I created this post.

I know most sources advice to turn off maintenance plans if Veeam will handle the log truncation; but our partner wants to keep it if possible.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should configure one of the solutions to perform copy_only backup, otherwise the logs chain will be broken.