Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

SQL Point in time restore dropped database?

Post by michaelryancook »

TIA. I have not opened a ticket yet as I believe this is an issue with me not understanding the limitations of SQL point in time restores vs a technical issue. We are backing up a SQL server daily with hourly logs. Our DBAs are using Enterprise Manager to test the restore functionality using logs as we have just recently enabled. The one DBA selected the database to restore, selected a time to restore on the slider, chose the same database server but a new database name. We have "Deny in-place database restores" enabled.

The result was that the job failed with the message "Failed to restore item newdatabasename (Type: Database; Source: Original_ServerName; Target: Original_ServerName) Database restore failed: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

Then the DBA checked and the database was altered then dropped by the Veeam service account when the restore was attempted.

Any ideas? Is it not possible to restore point in time with a separate name to the original server? Or should this be a support call?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: SQL Point in time restore dropped database?

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it should definitely be possible, so please log a support call (and keep us posted). Thanks!