Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
derek.hennessy
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Hennessy

SQL Transaction logs and Veeam Backup question

Post by derek.hennessy »

I'm looking to migrate a client away from their current CDP software to Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5. As part of their current solution they run 15 minute snapshots on their SQL servers. Through using Veeam I would like to run 1 hour backups on their 2 SQL servers and 1 Exchange server. For the SQL servers I want to be able to ship the transaction logs every 15 minutes within SQL so that they can rotate the transaction logs in the event of a failure to a 15 minute window to match their current setup.

When Veeam runs it will create a full backup and truncate the transaction logs. If I run a Veeam backup every hour (full) and then run a maintenance plan in SQL every 15 minutes will I run into issues with rotating through the transactions logs in the event of a restore for the client? I'm not familiar with SQL 2008 so I'm not sure if truncating the logs within SQL will cause issues with the Veeam job running a full backup.

Any thoughts? Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6719 times

Re: SQL Transaction logs and Veeam Backup question

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Just disable transaction log truncation in Veeam?
derek.hennessy
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Hennessy

Re: SQL Transaction logs and Veeam Backup question

Post by derek.hennessy »

Thanks Gostev. I've decided on another solution. Run Continuous Backup on SQL servers and in the job settings call the Replication Job to run once the backup is complete and create a loop so that the job runs as Backup -> Replication -> Backup etc. That way I should get close to the 15 minute RPO the client is looking.