heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

SQL Transaction Logs Backup: Databases added / removed

Post by heavy »

Hi there,

i hust want to make sure, i see Veeam behaviour correctly:

Transaction Log Backup starts when the Backup Job is triggered, not when it's finished.

So, Transaction Log Backup uses the "old" enumeration of databases and only knows about the correct amunt of databases, when the Backup Job finishes.
That results in Veeam rpeorting "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last X intervals" on every interval until the next Backup Job run is finished. I scrolled through theLogs (LogShipper and Transaction Log Backups), they only contain Info-Lines until they throw an Error at the end of each interval. From what I see, everything is backed up correctly.

Is the correct procedure to run the Backup Job twice when adding or deleting a database to avoid those error reports?
I don't know if i'm being confused, but wouldn't it be easier to let the existing Transaction Job run until the Backup Job is done and then start the new Transaction Job?

Thanks for any input
Thomas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: SQL Transaction Logs Backup: Databases added / removed

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Thomas,
Transaction Log Backup starts when the Backup Job is triggered, not when it's finished.
Transaction log backup job run is independent from regular job run state: if primary job is running, transaction log backup may start several times. What's important - transaction log backups made during primary job run rely on previous restore primary job restore point.
Is the correct procedure to run the Backup Job twice when adding or deleting a database to avoid those error reports?
You can run primary backup job to update the information about existing databases.
wouldn't it be easier to let the existing Transaction Job run until the Backup Job is done and then start the new Transaction Job?
That's how it works now. Transaction log backup intervals are shorter than primary backup job schedule. As a result transaction log backup jobs most likely kicks in after primary job is finished with all DB info up to date. Cheers!
heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

Post by heavy »

Hi Dima,

thanks or your reply.
You can run primary backup job to update the information about existing databases.
Well yes, so far, so good. That's working fine, but:
[...] As a result transaction log backup jobs most likely kicks in after primary job is finished with all DB info up to date. Cheers!
Have a look again at that:
The Transaction Job starts a few seconds after the regular Backup started, not when it ends.

So (at least) the first interval uses the "old" database info, which results in the transaction notifying the admin every interval "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last X intervals". Once you trigger that BAckup Job a second time, a new Transaction Job starts, which then uses the retrieved DB information from the previous Backup Job.

Sorry if i'm unclear at any point. I'll try to reproduce the behaviour in my lab an get some logs.

Regards
Thomas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It's smart enough not to use the old state. The fact that it starts simultaneously with the main job doesn't mean it backs up old data, it sits idle until the new restore point appears.