joergmi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joerg Mitterhuber

starting backup modify system time

Post by joergmi »

Hi There,

I've a strange situation.
we have to ESX hosts: A is running ESXi 5.0.0, (469512) and B is running ESXi 5.0.0 (623860)

we have some W2k8 and Win7 machines on both ESX hosts. When backing up from ESX A everything works as expected.
But when Veeam starts to backup the VMware machines on ESX B the systemtime on the machines change:

Example:
Backup is scheduled to start at 20:30 - in the Eventlog of the Win7 I see that 20:31 MS Shadow Copy Service entered running state. And the next entry is 22:23 "The system time has changed to 2012-09-26T20:23:15 from 2012-09-26T18:31:10". And than it continues until the next sync by our NTP Server.

WHAT is going on?!
This behavior affects all my virtual machine on this ESX host!

I'm running Veeam 6.0.0.153!
I need urgent help!

best regards Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: starting backup modify system time

Post by Gostev »

Hi Joerg,

For urgent help, you need to open a support case. This is not a support forum, as explained when you click New Topic.
Most likely, the issue has nothing to deal with Veeam - otherwise, it would have been reported before (your B&R version is 1 year old).

Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: starting backup modify system time

Post by tsightler »

Just a guess, but is the time is set incorrectly on your ESXi host and somehow the backup is triggering VMware tools to sync time with the host. Perhaps verify that VMware tools is not configured to synchronize time with the host.