Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kbossak
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kerry Bossak

Still trying to understand the Backup Copy Job.

Post by kbossak »

As I mentioned in another post, Ransomware deleted my Veeam backups so I reinstalled Veeam and I am getting everything set up again.

I have 11 essential VM servers. I am running a daily backup on all 11 with 7 restore points, active backups on Saturday, synthetic backups on Wednesday.

I have 2 secondary destinations set for this job, one is a Drobo on the other end of campus, the other is a Cloud provider. This part makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that there are settings itself for the backup copy job. Doesn't the main Backup job just copy the same data to the other 2 secondary destinations or does it not work like that?

If it doesn't work like that, should my backup copy jobs run at different times from each other or will both run at the same time by default? Should they run daily as well?

Just trying to understand it all and have best practices in place.

Thanks for any help.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Still trying to understand the Backup Copy Job.

Post by jmmarton »

It doesn't quite work like that. BCJ is much more than a simple xcopy of the source backup files to a secondary destination. Rather, it creates new backup files in the target by reading from the source. This is why you have settings to specify VMs, number of restore points, etc. The best way to schedule BCJ is for the interval to start shortly after your backup job. That way as soon as restore points are created by the backup job, BCJ will immediately begin processing them.

If you haven't yet read the docs, I encourage you to read through the BCJ section of the VBR User Guide as it gives a much more detailed explanation on how this works.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Joe