Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Storage Level Corruption Guard Requirements

Post by ian0x0r »

Good day,

I have been searching and trying to find out if there are any recommended environment settings to make use of storage level corruption guard (backup health check). I have read this https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 which is cool and I get what it is describing with regards to CRC checks etc, however, I can't see anything on the mechanics behind this.

My situation is I have enabled SLCG on a backup copy job that copies to a Veeam Cloud Connect provider. I understand that the storage has to be performant for this to work, but what about bandwidth requirements? Does the SLCG work in a similar way to a replication job that only has a proxy server at the source side? All data has to route through the source and in turn, it takes a long time? Does the SLCG in this scenario have to read the entire source and target backup files and send the verification checks over the link? Does having encryption enabled on the backups make this process take even longer?

I guess what I am looking for here are some recommendations on how much bandwidth is required to use SLCG on a remote repository or tell me I have the wrong end of the stick :D

Thanks,

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Storage Level Corruption Guard Requirements

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Ian - the process is completely isolated to the target repository, since it has both the data to check and its checksums to compare against. As such, there are no bandwidth requirements. Thanks!
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

Thanks, Anton for the explanation :). That does mean then that the performance is entirely dependent on the speed of the storage at the target side then.
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Correct.