Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jordan.doyle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Doyle

Storage Recommendations

Post by jordan.doyle »

Hello,

If this has been discussed before (Which I imagine it has), feel free to direct me to that post. I attempted to find one similar, but had no luck.

I have been working with Support for some time to determine an issue with File Level Restore. We setup Veeam for our customer about 5 Months ago, and they attempted to perform a file level restore on a program that they use about 1 Month ago. The restored folder is about 30GB, and it was going to take over 1 day to restore. After investigation I found that the restore speed was hovering around 500KBps. While this folder does include smaller files, it seemed to slow down with files that were ~20-30MB. I worked with support to determine the issue, and they found that it was storage causing the problem (Case: 02370664), and closed the case. I re-opened the case with a new case (Case: 02452797)to ask for recommendations on what storage to purchase, and how it should be setup, and they referred me to these forums.

Here is some information on the setup:

Server infrastructure:
3x Dell Poweredge R630 Servers with ESXi 6.0
1x Dell ScV2020 - (10Gb connected to servers)

Veeam infrastructure (Local):
Windows server 2008R2 Virtual Machine - Main Server, Proxy, Repository (32GB RAM, 8 Cores)
Synology RS814RP+ - 1Gb iSCSI connection to VMware, Mapped Raw LUN to Virtual machine (4x 4TB 7200RPM)

Request:
I am looking to replace the Synology storage with a faster storage. We are also looking to upgrade the amount of space because the full backup jobs take around 1.5TB, and we need some Monthly/Yearly retention. Should i just upgrade it with a higher end synology? If so is using iSCSI the best method, or would it be better to setup the synology as a linux repository?

Thank you for any help that you can offer! If you need more information please let me know.
jordan.doyle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Doyle

Re: Storage Recommendations

Post by jordan.doyle »

I just tested this same File Level Restore on a backup file that I copied to the production SAN that has fast storage. It seems to have the same problems as when it was stored on the Synology with only a minor improvement in performance. I reached back out to Veeam technical support as it seems there is an issue with this particular folder.

I'd still like to have some recommendations on storage systems as we may still upgrade, but it won't be because of this restore issue.
AFalb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Storage Recommendations

Post by AFalb »

Just as information, you can't use the Synology NAS as Linux Repository with a fresh DSM 6 installation!
You need to install DSM 5 and then keep it, or Upgrage to DSM 6 afterwords to use it as Linux Repo.