Storage spaces or S2D on 2016 for archive backup repository

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Storage spaces or S2D on 2016 for archive backup reposit

Veeam Logoby aceit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello,
I'm thinking... with so many disks is it worth, cost-wise, to go to storage spaces and handling such problem in the windows stack instead of buying a respectable external array with built-in virtualization and just present simple LUNs to the backup servers?
you have also the flexibility to use such provisioned space from multiple servers in case, simple hand offs in case of faults etc. I don't know if the cost of such space provisioned via direct attached disks is so economic, especially considering all the variables (flexibility, the external space "survives" the lifecycle of the server itself etc.etc.etc.), and especially if you have already a fabric in place.
just a consideration regarding the tradeoffs of the solution...
aceit
Influencer

Liked: 8 times

Re: Storage spaces or S2D on 2016 for archive backup reposit

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm

For my small business I plan to put 4 SATA drives into a single Dell Poweredge T30 with Windows Server 2016 and to use ReFS with a Storage Spaces Classic mirror. This is going to be my main Veeam repository.
Now I read that Storage Spaces Classic is slow with ReFS, especially on writes, however I did not find any numbers on how slow it actually is. Thanks in advance for any hints.
Anguel
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication