Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

StoreOnce Catalyst performance not as expected

Post by Regnor »

We're currently evaluating a StoreOnce appliance at a customer site.
The appliance is connected via 8 Gb/s FC to the backup server and we're using StoreOnce Catalyst for the backups.
During backups we see a throughout of 150-300MB/s, which is not high but OK. Additional Full backups of VMs which are already on the appliance are running at the same rate.
I would expect a much higher performance with Catalyst as there's no need to read/write the data again; with every run the dedupe rate is increasing but performance stays at the same level.
We've tested both Low and High Bandwith, but didn't notice any differences.
Bottleneck according to Veeam is Source 40%, Proxy 24%, Network 13%, 99% Target.

Am I missing something here?
taurus1978
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Patrick Huber

Re: StoreOnce Catalyst performance not as expected

Post by taurus1978 »

Hello
maybe you need to configure more streams for the fibre-channel Adapters on the storeonce.
Look at this guide on page 85:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... 43535en_us

got that hint from a HPE pre-sales guy.

that removes the stream limit on the FC Cards. So that you can use more parallellisation.
And remeber to connect both the StoreOnce AND the backup Server to the FC SAN. If there is a LAN connection anywhere in between you will surely experience loss of bandwidth.

Regards,
Patrick
VEEAM Enthusiast
Veeam certified Architect
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

I've already increased the logins per port to 16 but I'll try 256 and see if anything happens.

What do you mean with connecting the StoreOnce to the FC SAN?
Isn't the data flow SAN -> Backup Server -> StoreOnce?
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

So with 256 and no limitation from the repository the performance stays the same; a single task/stream will not pass over 160MB/s.
I'm still not sure when Catalyst should/would kick in...

One thing I've noticed; If I uncheck "decompress backup data" on the repository, performance almost doubles per stream; perhaps the proxy/gateway server is to slow?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Regnor wrote:a single task/stream will not pass over 160MB/s
My understanding is that this is perfectly normal and by design for ANY deduplicating storage. You can only scale throughput by increasing the number of streams, and this is the case for both writes and reads (backup and restore, that is).
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

I thought that if the data/blocks were already on the deduplication appliance then we wouldn't have to send them over again and therefore increase throughput (for a single stream). At the moment it looks like we're always sending over the data to the appliance, which only discards the blocks.

Regarding the performance boost of unchecking "decompress backup data":
I've set the power management settings to high performance (backup proxy) and now the rates are equal; a single stream now goes to 300MB/s.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Regnor wrote:I thought that if the data/blocks were already on the deduplication appliance then we wouldn't have to send them over again and therefore increase throughput (for a single stream). At the moment it looks like we're always sending over the data to the appliance, which only discards the blocks.
It depends on your Catalyst Store setting. If it is set to high bandwidth, all data is sent to device as is, and deduplication happens on device itself.
If it is set to low bandwidth, deduplication happens at Catalyst library (on gateway where Veeam target agent works) and only new blocks are sent to device.
You can check both and see which one will result in better overall job performance, however from my experience, high bandwidth is usually faster.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

There's almost no difference when comparing high bandwidth to low bandwidth mode; at least in that case.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Regnor wrote:I thought that if the data/blocks were already on the deduplication appliance then we wouldn't have to send them over again and therefore increase throughput (for a single stream).
That is correct, so you will see the difference when the bandwidth is limited. Otherwise, there would not be any performance again, as the process of identifying where the data block already exists on a dedupe appliance slows processing down, balancing out the benefit from not sending some blocks over. Naturally, on high speed network connection it could be faster to just shoot everything to the dedupe appliance, and let it deal with the data locally.
FedericoV
Technology Partner
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Federico Venier

Post by FedericoV » 1 person likes this post

Backup performance for single stream is roughly 30% faster when you keep source side dedupe disabled (i.e. "High Bandwidth" on the Catalyst Store GUI). Despite this, I keep suggesting using source side dedupe (i.e. Low-bandwidth mode) in production environments.
Working in source side dedupe, when your backup job contains about 10 VMs and you process them concurrently, you can easily see the throughput rising higher than 1500MB/s even across a single 10GbE link. When you add more jobs and proxy/gateway servers in the game, you can rise the throughput even further without being limited by the network connectivity.
It is important you make sure the entire data path is design for your expected throughput, not just the last link to StoreOnce. At these speeds, the primary storage could easily became a bottleneck as well.
An important suggestion is to pay attention that your Veeam Proxy, which is selected by the Backup-Job, runs on the same server (physical or VM) as your Veeam Gateway, which is selected by the Backup Repository. If the two services run on different servers, then your backup data does not go straight to StoreOnce via Catalyst, but there is an extra hop in LAN and that connection is not deduped.
In the past, I thought Catalyst could make high bandwidth reduction only for Full Backups, and my lab tests seemed to validate that behavior. Then I sow production environments achieving bandwidth reduction in the range of 10:1 to 30:1 even for CBT incremental backups. That surprised me, so I went back to my lab to check what was wrong... and the wrong part was my workload generator based on many 50MB files. Indeed, most production workloads are based on many small write operation and few large ones. When I changed my workload generator to produce many small and few large files, I sow a rising dedupe effect also for Incremental backups. Tests with just 1% of new data distributed over a lot of very small files were able to generate .vib as big as 15% of the full. This happens because even a few KBs file forces the CBT engine to mark as changed an entire 1MB wide segment in its VMDK. StoreOnce dedupe works at a much granular level and it identifies the real changed data inside the larger segment, and so it avoids sending the unchanged parts.
This long discussion to say that Source Side Dedupe helps also for Incremental backup and not only for the Full ones.
johna8
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by johna8 »

Just to let you know:

We run 3540s over 10GbE to the StoreOnce.
FC for storage.

We need to get on average around 170MB/s for writing to the 3540.
This peak though in another site - does go up to 365MB/s - processing rate 231 MB/s for example.
Depending on the model though - would've thought 150-300MB/s was ok?
sys-adm
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andreas Buetler

Post by sys-adm » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

We have here a StoreOnce 4900 and had also performance issue over FC. After we have switched to 2x 10GB Ethernet in LACP setting the performance was twice than before.
But the performance is not good enouth and we had some other trouble with this device.
Now we are evaluate some other backup appliance from ExaGrid. ExaGrid have another strategy with a landing zone. The idea is to backup to a non deduplicated storage and transfer the older backup data to the deduplicated storage.
We start with the proof of concept in a few weeks.
I think it's highly recommended to check some other products than the HPE StoreOnce.

Br sys-adm
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

@Federico: Thanks for your input; it's really interesting to see how the StoreOnce works with different workloads.
I'll play with both modes and see how the compare with more VMs.

@Johna8: The performance is really ok from my point of view; I just thought the it would increase more when dedupe kicks in.

@sys-adm: When using a dedup appliance as primary backup storage I see advantages in having a landing zone. We're using them as a secondary storage so performance isn't that critical.

To come to a conclusion; the more streams/tasks we put on the StoreOnce, the better performance results we get.