Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

Storeonce + copy jobs

Post by kte »

How can I create a copy jobs that keep 31 days on a windows server DAS repository ? and store the GFS files on a storeonce device ?
Can I use scale-out for this and is there an option to put the GFS weelky and monthly fulls on the storeonce only , how can this be done?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Storeonce + copy jobs

Post by foggy »

That's exactly where scale-out repository can help you. Please review this user guide section as a starting point.
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

So do i use performance or locality, because i want my normal backup chain to be togeteher and only the GFS full backups on my deduplication appliance?
not sure this is possible, because my local veeam presales said it is not possible.
can i mix the same repositories for regular copy jobs an use the same repository for scale-out backup copy jobs
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Koen, this is not possible, you cannot separate regular backup copy chain from its GFS restore points.
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

so what is the best practice but the full backup copy jobs and GFS on the sroreonce
or create a second copy job with just the GFS , can you create 2 copy jobs from 1 backup job
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can create two copy jobs from a single backup job. What is the specific reason you want to have an entire regular chain stored on a single extent, separately from GFS points?
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

to be able to do surebackups, fast restores from a normal data store during 31 days from the copy jobs and archiving on a deduplication appliance with GFS only
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

SureBackup is not available for backup copy jobs anyway and fast restores are also typically performed from the primary repository.
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

we keep 14 days on the production site and 31 days of copies on the DRP site and there the wand to keep weekly and monthly fulls, so gfs on the storeonce should be ideal because it could be we need a restore from the DRP site from the 31 days copies
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Understand. Then you can set up two backup copies, one specifically for fast restores from 31 restore point, another specifically for GFS with the shortest regular retention possible (2 restore points).
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

[MERGED] SO repo idea

Post by mkretzer »

Hello,

why is it not possible to keep the GFS restore points on a different extend in a SO repo? It would be nice to be able to specify that the GFS points go to a specific extend so that we can enable MS dedup there. MS dedup on a repo which is a copy target leads to endless tries to dedup the ever-changing backup file.

The other idea would be to be able to have a incremental GFS - in many VMs data is constant even over a long time.

Markus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Markus, thanks for your feedback! In order to achieve your goal today, you can use a separate backup copy job to store files on a different repository (extend).
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer »

After thinking about this a little bit longer i think i missed one feature: We can set MS dedup to only dedup files older than a few days which should lead to it only "deduping" the GFS backups.

Which now only leaves the size restrictions of MS dedup...

Markus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good point! As far as I know there are lots improvements coming to Hyper-V 2016 in regards to dedupe engine (even though it doesn't help you right now).