Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RAdV
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: René de Vries

Stuck backup job

Post by RAdV »

Hello,

we are using Veeam Backup 3.1.0 and got a job that is stuck on removing the snapshot after completing the backup. Manually stopping the job won't work. When I do that, Veeam backup asks if we are sure because the backup will be inconsistent till the next job is finished. When I click Yes, nothing happens... done it a few times now.

In my VI-client I'm still seeing Remove snaphot. Start time: 12:19 AM and no end time... Trust me: I wasn't there when it failed. ;-)

Any problemsolving idea or solution to this?

René
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Stuck backup job

Post by Gostev »

René, we had snapshot removal problems in production once too, during manual snapshot deletion through VIC. According to our Google research, there are other users who are also reporting this problem happening occasionally. Basically, general consensus is that you just need to wait until Remove snapshot completes (it may take very long time, many hours, but it should complete eventually).
RAdV
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: René de Vries

Post by RAdV »

Hello Gostev,

thnx, but the removal is stuck for 18 hours now... in 4 hours the incremental job is scheduled and I won't be here to watch it start or start it when it fails to start. Probably not a good idea then to help the proces a little? :?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

René, yes 18 hours is long enough wait.

First time this happened to us, we did not wait and attempted to actively fix this, and we ended up with corrupted VM (had to restore it from backup). So if you want to help it, I definitely suggest that you seek for VMware advice on how best to proceed with making the snapshot removal task end.