Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

SUGGESTIONS: Improving Veeam job log / log window for pattern analysis

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

When attempting to analyze repeat job failures for patterns that would reveal clues to the root problem, it would be highly beneficial to have the option to see a timestamp rather than right-clicking the line item and pasting somewhere to obtain that information.

Example:
1. Every Friday evening when our VM full backup runs, it has a partial failure
2. At first glance, it appears only three, seemingly consistent VMs, actually fail
3. At first glance, the failure appears to always be related to VSS wait timeout
4. The failures succeed on the next retry; but I would like to determine the root problem so that they don't fail to begin with

(I always try to fully investigate, identify, and resolve the issue, whether its one of our clients' backup jobs or one of our own, before involving Veeam support.)

To perform an pattern analysis:
1. I create a spreadsheet with the first column representing the VM names having failures
2. Then each subsequent column is a "column pair" where A is the date of the full backup and B is the timestamp of that VMs failure within the job
3. I manually examine each full backup instance going back 2 or more months and notate the results
4. The spreadsheet will then reveal to me (1) which VMs are consistently or mostly consistently failing and (2) if the issue might be time concentric

Figure 1: Showing the pattern analysis sheet and the remaining cells I have to populate with timestamps, which is currently a tedious process

Current process steps:
1. Scroll to line item in job log window
2. Right-click line item
3. Click Copy
4. Select unneeded cell in spreadsheet
5. CTRL+V
6. Select desired cell in spreadsheet
7. Read and type the timestamp from unneeded cell
8. Delete unneeded cell content

In my case, I had to do these steps over and over to capture 17 timestamps; this resulted in 136 steps in total (this does not count moving to the next full backup job log item in the job log list).

It would be really advantageous to have the following capabilities in the job log window:
  • Add an optional timestamp column to the left or right end -- this would eliminate having to right-click > Copy > Paste; instead I could just read the timestamp as I type it directly into my spreadsheet
  • Filter the rows so that I can show only errors or only warnings -- this would eliminate having to scroll unnecessarily
Figure 2: Showing the job log window which currently can't show a timestamp or filter

The two capabilities above would essentially result in a "hands free" process after opening the initial job log:
(assuming filters and timestamp preferences were persistent)
1. Read the timestamps and type directly into the desired cell in spreadsheet

In my case, this would have resulted in 17 x 1 = 17 total steps to accomplish the same thing in my spreadsheet.

Now, going one step beyond...

I would also be really beneficial to filter the actual job log list which currently can filter on job name through the Search field. True dynamic filtering, however, would make each column filterable. Microsoft does this in Excel with checkboxes when you convert the view to a table. BackupRadar does when they essentially put a Search field at the top of most columns so you can literally "create your own filter set" to achieve the outcome desired.

Figure 3: Showing BackupRadar's filtering system which works amazingly well and is super flexible

Adding this capability into Veeam would then allow me to filter the job log list on Failure and then "step" through the list by using the left and right keyboard arrows from the job log window.

Going one final step beyond...

Since BNR already knows everything that has happened (full historical knowledge), it could perform the pattern analysis for me and provide a summary:
  • Over the past six months...
  • The Friday full backup initially fails to backup the following three VMs...
  • The common failure is: VSSControl / Unfreeze error
  • The failures fall between 10:00PM and 2AM (there are no deviations outside this range)
  • Occasionally one or two other VMs fail with no consistent pattern
In conclusion, I know this is a lot of content to digest. But I hope it is helpful! I am already convinced Veeam desires to know what customers want and passionately pursues developing useful features and improving the software based on customer feedback, so you do not have to assure me of that. The proof is clear when Veeam continues to add useful features and capabilities that the customers want. This is why Veeam remains one of our two flagship solutions!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: SUGGESTIONS: Improving Veeam job log / log window for pattern analysis

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi James!
Interesting cases and interesting feature requests here. Thanks for the ideas and I will make sure to add them for internal discussion.
Logs analytics are partly covered with Veeam One and my first guess would be to route some of your ideas it this way.
Thanks and have a great week ahead!
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

Agreed! I was just about to post this same suggestion. Today I ran in a situation where I needed to know the timestamp of one of the steps also. I didn't know about the copy/paste tip. In my case it was a copy job. Since copy jobs don't report the time they are completed (they just show waiting for net copy interval with a duration added), you have to subtract the duration of this step from the current time in order to know the end-time of the copy job or add the total duration of the job (which is reported) to the start-time of the job.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: Jun 14, 2020 7:03 amLogs analytics are partly covered with Veeam One...
We have actually sold quite a few Veeam Essentials bundles over the years because that package has been cost effective for manner of our small to medium size clients. However, we have actually never deployed Veeam ONE for any of them because we already have RMM agents on the environment and RMM alerts and whatnot. The one time we did actually "pilot test" using Veeam ONE, it proved to be redundant to what we already had (which, when talking about RMM, usually isn't redundancy one desires). At this time, we only have one client with internal IT who previously used Veeam ONE before coming to us and wanted to continue using it. So when I revamped the Veeam deployment, I kept that in the mix for his benefit. So I guess it's good to know that more logging is included in Veeam ONE, but as a MSP we rely on our RMM, BNR deployments, our VSPC and cloud connect infrastructure, and use rental licensing for the most part.