Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DBerns
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Surebackup change background in the sandbox VMs?

Post by DBerns »

Hello,

I'm running a SureBackup job in sandbox mode where I keep the systems running.
As the restored systems are 100% equal to the production servers I got the question if it was possible to replace the background in these sandbox VMs.

My guess is that it's maybe possible by running a script from the SureBackup job but I can't find anything that points in the right direction. The scripts that I can find are to test connectivity but I need a script that changes something inside the VMs.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Regards, Dennie
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Surebackup change background in the sandbox VMs?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Technically, there are many ways to achieve this, for example, to define a path to an executable script file in application group settings. Another idea might be to run a script independently from Veeam and use masquerade IPs to connect to the VMs while they are running in the isolated environment.

Thanks!
DBerns
Novice

Post by DBerns » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Thank you, my first idea is that all the scripts named are used to test connections from the outside of the VM. That's not what I want to achieve, but your answer does give me handles to try more. I'll let it know if I can manage to find a sollution.

Regards
DBerns
Novice

Post by DBerns »

I don't get it to work. I can't run a script within the VM.
Running a script remotely isn't possible due to our VM hardening, running a script within the VM from the desktop when it runs is an option but the problem is that it's then also visible in the original servers which I don't want because it can confuse people even more.
I guess it's just keeping extra careful when using the sandbox option and make sure we're testing on the right systems.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

May I ask you to clarify a couple of details, please?
1. "running a script within the VM from the desktop when it runs" - Did I understand correctly that you mean the VM itself?
2. "it's then also visible in the original servers" - do you mean that you need to keep a script on the productions workloads? If yes, how it affects your production workloads?

Thanks!