Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vbackupforum
Lurker
Liked: never

SureBackup Feature Request

Post by Vbackupforum »

I opened case # 06030185 with support, but was told that our Veeam VM's secondary drive used for surebackups which is listed as a datastore in Vcenter, becomes inaccessible upon Veeam VM reboot by design (and possibly other times?). There is no known way to make it show as connected again without running a surebackup job, for example.

I'm requesting that a feature be added to bring the datastore back online after a reboot, to prevent monitoring software from alerting us of issues. We can certainly adjust our monitoring software to exclude particular datastore names, but I don't think that would be best practice, and it doesn't look good in vcenter to see datastore errors.

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup Feature Request

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Normally the request is to automatically remove the inaccessible datastore (there are PowerShell scripts for that)

Is there a reason to bring it back online instead of removing it to make the monitoring software happy?

Best regards,
Hannes
Vbackupforum
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: SureBackup Feature Request

Post by Vbackupforum »

In my mind it makes more sense for the datastore to be in an online connected state, since they will be connected again the next time the surebackup job is run. Once the VM is rebooted, the surebackup service would check for datastore connection, and re-connect if it was in the inaccessible state, otherwise it sort of indicates a service or function is not running or connected properly.
Theoretically if Veeam chose to have it disconnect completely after the job ran, that would be fine, but it would be best all around to have this be a built in function of Veeam instead of scripts that were run per customer (looks like usernames and passwords need to be stored in the script).

Thank you.