Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andreash
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Andreas Holzhammer

Surebackup for Replication and Backup File Verification

Post by andreash »

Hi,

finally managed to have a full Setup of Backup, Backup Copy and Replication Jobs, and I want to put Surebackup into place as well.

I've accidentially left the "Validate entire virtual disk" option enabled for my Surebackup Job on the replicas, and noticed it starts a verification on the disks in the Backup repository (I'm replicating from the Backup Repository). Any idea why it should checksum the source?

The documentation says:
"For backup file validation, Veeam Backup & Replication performs a CRC check for backup files of VMs verified by the SureBackup job. "
I assume the replicas don't even have this CRC any more, so I'm not sure this option does even make sense for a Surebackup Job on replicas?
Certainly I don't want Surebackup verify the same ~10TB files twice for the Job on Backups and Replicas.

Regards,
Andreas
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Surebackup for Replication and Backup File Verification

Post by PTide »

Him

There is a "[For VM backups only]" in front of additional setting description.
and noticed it starts a verification on the disks in the Backup repository
Did VBR throw some message regarding source CRC check or you've just spotted some disk activity on your source repo?

Thank you.
andreash
Enthusiast

Post by andreash »

Hi,

I noticed high disk activity on the backup repository, and in the surebackup job for my replication VMs it also mentioned it would start a backup file verification after the VMs were tested:
16.02.2016 15:24:10 Error XYZ-EX2013 - Performing backup file verification
I then cancelled this job and disabled backup file verification.

TBQH I didn't regard the message "[for VM backups only]" as relevant in this case. Thinking twice the emphasis here might be "backup" in contrast to "replication", as everything we deal with is VM anyway.

So this is by design, and Surebackup for Replication Jobs should have this Setting disabled? I'm pretty sure enabled is the Default though.

Regards,
Andreas
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Did I get it right:

In v9 you've configured a SureRpelica job, the job tests only replicas and there are no backups added to it. You've noticed high disk activity during SB job on your Backup repo (which one btw?) and got this message from VBR:
16.02.2016 15:24:10 Error XYZ-EX2013 - Performing backup file verification
Is everything correct?
andreash
Enthusiast

Post by andreash » 1 person likes this post

Hi, I've found my mistake in the Surebackup Job Settings. There was a Job from the regular backups in the linked Jobs...
It makes all sense then!

Thanks for your help!
Andreas
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Thank you for an update, you've just saved some time for our QA team!