Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

SureBackup for SQL and scripts failing

Post by cffit »

A few months ago our SureBackup jobs for our SQL servers began failing. I'm not sure if it started after an update or what, but from what I've read it seems that the VEEAM SQL test went from just testing is port 1433 is listening to running an actual script, and if that script isn't modified or arguments entered, it will fail.

Anyway, my first problem is that the SQL service fails to start when I run a SureBackup job. When I set the SB job to stay running, and then I log into the SQL server, I am able to start the service fine. It just fails upon normal boot in the SB job. I'm thinking this might be due to the slowness of the disk that SB uses, mainly the local disk that the SB job uses for the change files. I notice that the latency on that is high while I run a SB job. Has anyone else had this issue?

In the above scenario, and after I manually start the SQL service, I can manually run the SB SQL script and it runs fine.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup for SQL and scripts failing

Post by foggy »

Are there any related messages in the Event Log on the SQL server?

Regarding the SQL test script, please review this thread, might be useful.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Yes, I can see where it says the SQL service times out when starting. However, I can start it after it's been up for a short while, so I assume that it's too slow at startup to get SQL started.

To try and get around this, I set the SQL service to restart every 5 minutes after a failure, but I think the script runs early on before it starts up. Kind of a timing issue.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Could the corresponding SQL Server timeout be extended, I wonder...
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

What tells the script when to kick off? Even if I could adjust the SQL timeout, if the script is set to run at x time, it may always run before the SQL service is able to start.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Try to extend the application initialization timeout, the script is triggered after the specified time elapses after successfully pinging the VM.