Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Surebackup Lab

Post by nunciate »

I need to bring up my AD Server, Exchange 2016 Server and Email Vaulting server from a previous backup in a isolated lab.
The AD server and Vaulting server are both on the same network Vlan however the Exchange server is on a separate vlan with a different IP structure.

What I need is to bring all 3 servers up together. Have them communicate with one another. The Exchange and Vault server will need to communicate with each other and they both have to talk to AD for authentication.
Is this even possible or are these VMs all individually isolated from each other? Can I do this with a Virtual Lab?

I setup a lab and configured each of the VLANs using Advanced Single Host mode. One odd thing I noticed is that I tried entering a unique vlan for each of the networks but they all changed to the same vlan when I edit one of them.
I was able to power up 2 test servers (one on the AD/Vault vlan and one on the Exchange vlan).
Both servers came online but I couldn't not connected to one from the other while logged into them with the VMware console.

Any advice on setting this up?
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Surebackup Lab

Post by haslund »

It sounds like you will benefit from the Route network traffic between vNICs checkbox. You can see more here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

The option to route between networks is greyed out.
I assume that is because there is only 1 VNIC in the list.
I am unable to add additional VNICs to that screen.

On the Isolated Networks screen I have my 3 VLANS mapped to ilolated networks.
On the Network Settings screen I have 1 vNIC.
I tried setting the IP and Mask to my the prod gateway IP and mask for that selected network.
Then I set the masquerade IP to the the same but set the third octet to something unique like 255.
I tried to add a second vNIC and chose the second vlan, set the ip and mask to that vlan's gateway and mask.
I set the masquerade to something different on the third octet like 254.
It gives the error vNIC with Such isolated network connected already exists.

I noted at the bottom of the link you sent it says "You cannot assign more than one virtual NIC to a single isolated network."
I am guessing that is what this error is telling me.
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

As a work around I am attempting to bring everything up and then I am going into the vmware console of the Exchange server and changing it's IP to one that is on the same network as the other servers. I am able to ping it from the others by doing that. Still working out some other issues. Looks like I need all 3 of our domain controllers up in the lab, not just one. It is all powering up now so I will see how that goes.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like you're mapping both VLANs to the same isolated network. In the Network Mapping dialog, make sure you're selecting different isolated networks, this way VLAN IDs will be also different and you will be able to add several vNICs.