Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

SureBackup lab VMs not detecting network as type domain

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has a fix I have not already tried.

Basically the VMs in our SureBackup lab are booting fine but they are detecting the network as 'private' or in some cases occasionally 'public'. This means the FW locks down and prevents RDP, File Shares, SQL etc, meaning our testing doesn't work and people can't access the labs we are setting up.

We have 4 DCs in our produciton environment, 2 at SiteA and 2 at SiteB. One DC in SiteA is in network 1 and the other is in network 2. The same is true of the DCs in SiteB. Complex setup but works fine for us.

In the lab I have the DC from SiteA network 1 and 4 SQL servers from SiteA network 1 as well. The DC does show as 'domain'.. But the other VMs all boot fine but then don't show as 'domain', instead they show as 'private' network profile, so the FW restricts traffic.

The DC is 2008 R2
2 of the SQL VMs are 2012 R2 and 1 is 2008 R2

I have tried:
1. Disabling IPv6
2. Setting the DNS suffix to be our internal domain name
3. Removing the 2nd DC from the list of DNS servers on the SQL VMs
4. Removed the other DCs from the list of DNS servers on the DC in the lab
5. Various registry changes designed to force the network type to domain
6. Deleted the network profiles section in the registry, restarted to let it rebuild it from scratch
7. Setting Network Location Awareness to delayed start, rebooting
8. Setting Network Location Awareness to disabled, rebooting

Unfortunately, none of this has helped at all and the issue remains.

I saw another forum topic about this, but that was a long time ago when the SureBackup proxy appliance didn't respond to ping internally and caused a similar issue. This is no longer the case, the proxy appliance is responding to ping.

I do have a case open for this #03362956. But at the moment we have not got a solution.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks!

Chris
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SureBackup lab VMs not detecting network as type domain

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I guess that you might try this approach. Although the thread refers to the problem of DC having 'public' profile, I think that the steps described there might be helpful for you.

Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Re: SureBackup lab VMs not detecting network as type domain

Post by ChrisGundry » 2 people like this post

Hi,

I read through that but I am not sure how it applies to our issues.

I have now resolved our problem by adding a 2nd DC to the lab. It seems now the two DCs are able to talk to each other things are much happier and all other guest VMs within the lab are now showing as 'domain' profile.

Thanks

Chris