Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

SureBackup - leave vm running on failure

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

sometimes, SureBackup-Jobs go wrong, or better said the test-results have failed. Now you have to run the job again, increase the intervals and then try to figure out inside of the vm, what is going wrong. Sometimes, this takes a lot of time and when you miss the right time, you can start again from scratch.

It would be cool to have an option like 'leave vm's running when errors occured'. If you had that enabled, you'd be able to take a look inside the vm to check the cause for the say failed test-script. In my current case the SQL-service didn't start due to a missing network adapter, which was caused be an incomplete configuration of the Lab. We don't need the second adapter for the tests, so that's why nobody has configured it but that prevents the sql-service to start - but only during testing, not in production.

So if that vm was running after the failed test, it would have been eays and much quicker to resolve that issue.

Probably others would find that idea helpful as well. Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup - leave vm running on failure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the use case makes sense to me. But I'm concerned about the side-effects that could have. Example: SureBackup job runs with a linked job with 100 VMs. 15 of them fail. now there is 15x instant recovery running.

For SureBackup with application groups, the "keep the application group running" might be a workaround.

Best regards,
Hannes
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: SureBackup - leave vm running on failure

Post by mcz »

For SureBackup with application groups, the "keep the application group running" might be a workaround.
Yeah but the vm's won't run when the job failed...