Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CloudMSP
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Veeam MSP

SureBackup needed just to ensure a good backup?!?

Post by CloudMSP »

This is what we deploy at each customer:

1. Dell T20 (E3 proc) with 2 or 4 WD RED NAS Drives in MIRROR mode with Windows Storage Spaces as the BR server at each client location. Local storage. and 16 GB RAM.
2. Hourly forward forever incremental backups from 6 AM to 7 PM M-F. Retain 120 restore points locally (about two weeks).
3. Seeded to our Cloud Connect Server NIGHTLY keeping the last 7 restore points (7 days).

However recently I've come to find that apparently a chain 120 restore points long is not recommended to be trusted.

SureBackup is recommended to verify the backup. Is this really the only way to insure the back up is good? And does it actually do that?

Just booting up the machine isn't going to help me know if the files are corrupt on say drive D. It's also pretty complex to setup but worse it seems my BDR server would need to be even beefier than what I have above even with 32 GB right?

Also, the next time the backup runs it interrupts the SureBackup replication.

What am I missing? How can I insure backup verification without SureBackup and a BDR server that is just as good my VM host?? I don't need the fancy booting up, and scripts, and all that.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SureBackup needed just to ensure a good backup?!?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Is this really the only way to insure the back up is good?
It's the only way to ensure that the VM in the backup is actually bootable. If you'd like to make sure that all apps and files are behaving properly then SureBackup with custom verification scripts is the way to go.
How can I insure backup verification without SureBackup and a BDR server that is just as good my VM host?? I don't need the fancy booting up, and scripts, and all that.
Then you can stick with backup validator. It performs checks of a backup file on a block-level.

Thank you