jtupeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Jason Tupeck

SureBackup - NIC is stripped from VM before restoring in the Data Lab

Post by jtupeck »

Hello!

Support Ticket: 05542870

Have a customer environment where we are trying to set up SureBackup jobs with the Veeam Data lab and are running into an issue. The warnings in the logs show

Code: Select all

Line 798: [21.07.2022 10:10:45] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [ReconfigVm] Network 1: production VM - IT Core Servers x.x.x.x%2f24, isolated unknown, not mapped
	Line 799: [21.07.2022 10:10:45] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [ReconfigVm] Results: Networks: 0/1 mapped, 1 unmapped
	Line 800: [21.07.2022 10:10:45] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [ReconfigVm] Summary: One or more networks cannot be mapped, check virtual lab settings
	Line 801: [21.07.2022 10:10:45] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [ReconfigVm] End 'Reconfiguring'
	Line 1189: [21.07.2022 10:11:48] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [PowerOnVm] One or more networks cannot be mapped, check virtual lab settings
	Line 1244: [21.07.2022 10:14:00] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [PowerOnVm] Results: cannot detect IP address
	Line 1245: [21.07.2022 10:14:00] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [PowerOnVm] Summary: OS booted up successfully
	Line 1246: [21.07.2022 10:14:00] <01> Warning      [SureBackup] [VMNAME] [PowerOnVm] End 'Powering on'
(where 'VMNAME" is the actual VM's name and "x.x.x.x" is the actual IP addressing scheme)

The result when we run the SureBackup Job is the VM gets powered on, but is completely missing its NIC in its vCenter config. Adding a NIC manually, assigning it to the Data Lab isolated port group that pertains to its production port group and then addressing the new NIC in the guest allows the VM to talk inside the Data Lab sandbox without issue. This happens on multiple VMs that are in multiple production port groups.

During the Data Lab deployment, when we were setting up the Isolated Networks, we were presented with errors that Veeam does not like certain special characters in the port group labeling. This environment's production port groups are labeled with a '/24' at the end of the IP addressing scheme, which you will notice Veeam has replaced with a '%2f' in the log above. When we attempted to label the isolated networks, the '/' character was not accepted. Once we corrected that, the Data Lab deployed, created the appropriate port groups in the dedicated Virtual Distributed Switch as expected and we proceeded to test SureBackup jobs.

I have two hypothesis, both of which may be wholly incorrect, but I wanted to bring this up on the forums in case anyone had seen this before.

1. there is a mismatch between the '%2f' we see in the logs and '/' between the production network comparison, causing a failure to assign the appropriate isolated network
or
2. the 'isolated unknown' message seen in the log entry means that something is amiss in the isolated network configurations and Veeam is unable to see the isolated networks assigned to the Data Lab for some reason.

I am leaning towards #1 and have a process to test my theory if needed, but the customer would like to keep the '/24' CIDR notations in the production port group naming conventions if possible.

Thank you for any input that the insider Veeam team can provide.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup - NIC is stripped from VM before restoring in the Data Lab

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sounds like a restricted character issue. While / is not explicitly listed, there seems to be an internal mapping and there is a very old post, that indicates that the reg key works

If that does not work, I can only recommend to continue with support. Support should check the log files (as far as I see, log files are currently missing in the case).

Best regards,
Hannes