Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

SureBackup - Routing Issues

Post by redhorse »

Hi all,

after upgrading from 9.5 to 10a and redeploying the proxy appliance, I’ve trouble with one distinguished subnet within my SureBackup environment.

I have four different production subnets mapped to four SureBackup networks, all are working well except for the network 123.55.0.0/16. I am not able to ping the gateway from a SureBackup VM in this subnet, although the proxy appliance is certainly configured with the gateway IP and routing is permitted. But I am able to ping another VM which is in the same subnet in the SureBackup environment.

My conclusion is, that there is something not working properly with the proxy appliance. I’ve checked the configuration inside the appliance with ifconfig and it looks fine, I can’t find anything strange.

Perhaps someone has the same experience?

Support case is open: #04728062
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup - Routing Issues

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I understand that you only upgraded without any other change to the virtual lab. If that's true, that sounds strange. Please continue working with support. That's not a well known issue.

As you say that you use public IP addresses internally, there might be something with that just by chance.
I am not able to ping the gateway from a SureBackup VM in this subnet
mhm, that must be solved. Ping from the proxy appliance to a VM in the "broken subnet" works? Virtual network cables are connected correctly?

Best regards,
Hannes
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

Re: SureBackup - Routing Issues

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

after investigating and further researching I've finally found the issue in the virtual lab although I don't know why this happened.

This was my configuration of the virtual lab:
vNIC1 -> VLAN Server
vNIC2 -> VLAN Management
vNIC3 -> VLAN VoIP
vNIC4 -> VLAN Client

Veeam deployed the SureBackup Proxy-VM with the following network configuration:
Network adapter 1 -> VLAN Server (this is for the network access of the VM itself)
Network adapter 2 -> VLAN Server
Network adapter 3 -> VLAN VoIP
Network adapter 4 -> VLAN Client
Network adapter 5 -> VLAN Management

So, there was a wrong network assignment to the vNICs, I could verify this with ifconfig on the shell of the proxy appliance. After I've changed the network assignment in the settings of the VM everything was fine.

Finaly I've recreated a new virtual lab with exactly the same configuration and everything was fine, the order of the vNICs was the same as the order of the network adapter for the VM.