Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rleon
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: RLeon

SureBackup Test Scripts variables %vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn% not using masquerade IPs

Post by rleon »

Hi all,

I've been testing Virtual Labs, Application Groups and SureBackup.
I noticed that in a VM's Verification Options, when using Test Scripts, the special variables %vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn% actually point to the production IP of the VM that is being tested inside the Virtual Lab.
That is, when using these variables, you will always pass the VM's production IP to the script, instead of the VM's masqueraded IP that the Veeam Server should be using when running the script.
The variable %vm_fqdn% has a similar issue, where it will just be translated to the VM's production IP.

During the Script testing stage in a running SureBackup job, I thought the Veeam Server is supposed to:
1. Run a locally saved script (E.g., a Powershell .ps1 script).
2. Pass the VM's masqueraded IP (or Static Mapped IP) to the script as an argument, so that the script will connect to the VM inside the Virtual Lab network, and not to the real VM in the production network.

I found that if I manually type the VM's masqueraded IP in the Test Script's Argument field, the script would correctly and successfully connect to the VM inside the Virtual Lab, through the proxy appliance.
This has been my workaround. But the question remains:
Why would you want to pass a VM's real production IP to the Test Script during a SureBackup test?
Why would you want to test the VM that is in actual production during a SureBackup job?
Aren't you supposed to test the VM that spawned inside the Virtual Lab network instead?
If this is not a bug, then what exactly is a use case for the variables %vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn% ?

Thanks all!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup Test Scripts variables %vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn% not using masquerade IPs

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
after upgrade to 4a finished I created a SureBackup job

with the following test script

Code: Select all

param(
[string]$parameter
)

$parameter | Out-File -FilePath C:\_adminfiles\testoutput 
The IP of the VM I test is 192.168.190.31. The output looks correct for me:

I can also see it in the logs that the parameters are correct

[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] ==========================================================
[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] | # | Macros     | Value                                 |
[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] ==========================================================
[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] | 1 | %vm_ip%    | 192.168.188.31                        |
[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] | 2 | %vm_fqdn%  | DC2016.veeamlab.intern                |
[27.03.2019 16:46:17] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [DC2016] [ScriptTests] | 3 | %log_path% | C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\SB-DC2016 |

Best regards,
Hannes
rleon
Enthusiast

Re: SureBackup Test Scripts variables %vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn% not using masquerade IPs

Post by rleon »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for going through the trouble of testing this issue.
There's a 4a now?
I'll have to arrange an upgrade then test this again.
rleon
Enthusiast

Post by rleon »

The 4a update fixed it!
To think that the update got released in the same week I encountered this problem, what are the chances :)
Thanks again Hannes.