Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

SureBackup VM display order

Post by philfreund »

When displaying the results of a SureBackup job run in the console, why does the order the VMs contained in the job not consistently match the order they are listed in the Application Group? Sometime they are in the same order, more often than not, they are in a different order. This makes it hard to check how a job either ran or is still running. Is there any way to fix this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SureBackup VM display order

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VMs in an application group start in the order as configured. Also the job log view is working fine in the correct order as far as I see.

Do you have a case number that confirms your statements? If yes, please post it, that we can see whether something needs to be fixed.

In the screenshot below I see that the order is correct:

I do not 100% understand where you cannot see the job running / not running, but I prefer the "Last 24h" section. There it's possible to see which jobs are running etc.

Best regards,
Hannes
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

I just opened Case #04640408.

To clarify: The VMs are being started in the order they are listed in the Application Group. However, while watching the job run or viewing the session after it has completed, the VMs are not consistently displayed in the order they are listed in the Application Group. Sometimes they are in the same order; more often than not they are in a different order. This can change each time you open a session to view it.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

sometimes / sometimes not sounds strange. let's see what support says.
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

Support says it's working as designed which I have trouble believing. I did some testing using a job that included 4 VMs and here is what I found (there are sequential screenshots showing this behavior attached to the case):

The VM display order observed depends on when a detailed session display is opened.
  • If you open it when the session is starting and the Virtual Lab is being started, the VM order matches the order in the App Group. Example: VM1 pending, VM2 pending, VM3 pending, VM4 pending. (If you leave the display window open, the order remains the same as the App Group order while the VMs get processed and the status of each VM changes.)
  • If you open it when the session is finished (including from History), the VMs are displayed in the reverse order from the App Group order with the last VM processed at the top and the first VM processed on the bottom. The intermediate VMs are displayed in the reverse order processed. Example: VM4 started, VM3 started, VM2 started, VM1 started
  • If you open it while the session is processing, the order changes depending on which VM is being processed.
    • Example: VM1 in the list is starting. The display order is VM2 pending, VM 3 pending, VM4 pending, VM1 starting
    • Example: VM1 started and VM2 starting. The display order is VM 3 pending, VM4 pending, VM1 started, VM2 starting
    • Example: VM1 and VM2 started, VM3 starting. The display order is VM4 pending, VM2 started, VM1 started, VM3 starting
    • Example: VM1, VM2, and VM3 started, VM4 starting. The display order is VM3 started, VM2 started, VM1 started, VM4 starting
All of this is counterintuitive. You can't just open a session and determine visually see how far a session has processed and how much is left to process. You can't just took a session history and visually see how a session processed.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ok, now I got the issue. Support already agreed to open a feature request for you, so there is nothing else that needs to be done here.
You can't just open a session and determine visually see how far a session has processed and how much is left to process
What about clicking on the "status" column header? Then it orders it by status. At least for my understanding, I can see the overall progress of the job by doing that. Other columns also work.

Best regards,
Hannes
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 2 people like this post

Thanks for reporting that.
We will do some work on this window to make it more friendly with default settings!
/Cheers!