Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Synthetic Full on Saturday - Run Job on Week-days

Post by stevil »

I have a couple of jobs at different sites which are set as follows :-

Incremental
Synthetic Full on Saturday
Transform previous full backup chains to rollbacks

The job is also configured to run on Week-days only.

My question is, because my backups only run Monday - Friday does this mean that the Saturday synthetic full never happens? It would certainly explain why I have a never-ending ream of incrementals (73 now at one site!).

If this is the case I'll just switch the full backup option to Friday and I'll be a happy veeam user again :)

Cheers
Steve
Alexey D.

Re: Synthetic Full on Saturday - Run Job on Week-days

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Steve,

Yes, with your schedule (Mon-Fri) synthetic full never happens because it's on Saturday. So please tune your configuration.
From our side, we would add a message to UI telling user to double-check his settings - for better user experience.

Thanks for pointing this out!
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I had the same issue. It was not really a issue it was a misconfiguration from someone else. You need to go the backup Job Properties > Backup Destination > Advantced > Backup Tap > Days. Here you need to modify the day the synthetic will run. I belive you wrote saturday.

Then go out of the sub path continue (via next) on from the backup destination > Edit Backup Job > Schedule and make sure the schedule shows Mon to Fri, according to the time frame you want.

That should do it.
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Post by stevil »

Hi, yes this is what Ive done now. The server with 70+ incrementals spent hours trying to sort itself out then fell over due to lack of disk space. So I deleted the job and restarted. Maybe there should be some sort of warning when you following the standard options that the synthetic full won't run ona Saturday :)
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

Lol, .. I don;t know if there should be a warning or so. Afterall, you only do this mistake one time. In my scenario, I'm new to Veeam and as simple as it is structured it still requires a learning curve. It is a great product so far ;D
itldn
Influencer
Liked: never

Synthetic Full

Post by itldn »

[merged into existing discussion]

Hi,

I have Enabled the "Enable Synthetic Fulls" check box to run on Saturdays and the retention policy is 30 days. However when i check the backup files on the disk i can only see one .vbk files and the rest is .vib. my understanding from reading the user guide is that there should be multiple of .vbk files not only one. I am just wondering if the product is not behaving as normal.

my Environment
Veeam backup and Replication 5.0
Version5.0.2.230(64Bit)
installed on Physical windows server 2008 R2 Ent
Backing up VMware VMs (vsphere 4.0 update 2)

Thanks in advance
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello,

Which schedule do you have for your job? Is it configured to run on week-days only?
itldn
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by itldn »

Hi Alex,

yes indeed it is running on week-days only. I just saw the above post where it mentions the misconfiguration of the schedule. it will will be nice if we had received some warning on UI.

Thanks