Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sfort
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sfort

Target on Chrooted Linux Server - stuck with perl soap!

Post by sfort »

Hi guys,

I have access to chrooted storage on a Linux server that I'd like to use as an offsite target for Veeam backups.

At the moment I'm getting stuck when adding the Repository and clicking the Populate button - I get the error message:

Timed out waiting for operation "(cd /tmp && perl veeam_soap......etc"

It looks like it is copying the file across and trying to run but doesn't finish.

I've tried copying the veeam_soap.pl file across and running it with perl - the error message I get is:

Can't locate object method "new" via package "Esx" (perhaps you forgot to load "Esx"?) at veeam_soap.pl line 62

Not too sure where to go from here but I can request to get files moved inside my chroot jail.

Thanks in advance
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Target on Chrooted Linux Server - stuck with perl soap!

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, without knowing how the chroot was built, at first sight it could be that our perl script tries to access /tmp folder and this is not available in the jail environment, but only in the root of the server? Maybe who configured the chroot didn’t created the chrooted /tmp? If you manually login into the chroot can you ls to /tmp and write files in it?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Also, the error about missing object method when you run veeam_soap.pl would be expected if you didn't copy all of the other files that are in the veeam_soap.tar file. The tar file includes the Esx perl library and this entire tar is pushed as part of the normal process. I'll admit that I normally cheat with my chroot setup and simply bind mount /usr/lib and /usr/bin into the chroot, which normally gives me everything I need.
sfort
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sfort

Post by sfort »

The /tmp location is there in the chroot and writeable - when connecting to the linux server from Veeam it transfers the file across fine, and untar's it to a folder. When doing it manually I've extracted everything and I see all the files in the lib/ folder. I'm not sure if maybe perl isn't reading the Esx folder properly or if there is anything else that needs to be changed.

I don't think I can get /usr/lib and bin mounted into the chroot.

Are there any other logs I can check?
andyg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andy Goldschmidt

Post by andyg »

(I know this is an old thread)

Does anyone have Veeam working in an SSH chroot? a step-by-step guide would be great.