Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Temporary setup

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We are in the process of ordering a Dell 720xd but in the interim like to tap into our Storage nas (BlueArc) for about 2 TB of space. What is a quickest setup that I can implement in very short time?

Should I attach the share using MS iSCSI or just use CIFS (saw this option on the Backup repository screen). I know the prefer way is to build a Linux machine then mount NFS, then add the Linux machine in the Backup repositories (but I don't think we be able to do in short time). We are backing up Exchange 2010, one server.

Note: Once our Dell server comes in, it will be configured with Veeam with a 40+ TB local storage

Thanks in advance,
TS
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Temporary setup

Post by chrisdearden »

I know the prefer way is to build a Linux machine then mount NFS, then add the Linux machine in the Backup repositories (but I don't think we be able to do in short time).
Only by Masochists ;)

CIFS should be fine as a temporary location , especially if you are only backing up a single box. attaching an iscsi volume might be a little faster , but it depends on the hardware.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Setup considerations apart, in case of Exchange backup, don’t forget to enable Application Aware Image Processing functionality, which is necessary for replicating VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint), since this functionality guarantees backup transactional consistency of such VMs.

Thanks.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

chrisdearden wrote: Only by Masochists ;)

CIFS should be fine as a temporary location , especially if you are only backing up a single box. attaching an iscsi volume might be a little faster , but it depends on the hardware.

CIFS might be the ticket. I see this on the New Backup Repository screen. "CIFS (SMB) share. This repository type does not support storage agent, so directed backup over slow networks without proxying local server is not recommended." Can somebody tell me what the storage agent role is (importance) ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam agent is installed on every Windows or Linux-type backup repository and is responsible for receiving and processing the data transferred from the source agent (proxy server). In case of CIFS-type backup repository, an additional proxying server is required for the agent to be installed on to optimize data transfer (so that data could be transferred in a compressed form between agents). This agent is then writes data to the CIFS share directly.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

foggy wrote:Veeam agent is installed on every Windows or Linux-type backup repository and is responsible for receiving and processing the data transferred from the source agent (proxy server). In case of CIFS-type backup repository, an additional proxying server is required for the agent to be installed on to optimize data transfer (so that data could be transferred in a compressed form between agents). This agent is then writes data to the CIFS share directly.
Very good explanation.

Just a curiosity of how data is transferred if I were to use a Linux machine which mounts an NFS share from my NAS. Then from the Veeam Backup, add the Linux machine in...

I did some reading and my understanding is that all data still goes through the Veeam Backup server (act as Proxy) from the datastore. So no data is transferred from datastore to the linux machine directly?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Data is always retrieved from the datastore by the proxy server and transferred from proxy to repository. Veeam B&R installation comes with the default proxy server as a component, however you can install proxy on any other Windows machine and have it perform all the processing. In this case, Veeam B&R console will act as a management server only.

So answering your question - no data is directly transferred from the datastore to the Linux machine.