Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kei
Expert
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Keita Kuroki

The sizing of VBR&Proxy for restoring

Post by Kei »

I consider the bellow situation.

1.Backup the on-premises VM to scale out backup repository (Object storage is S3) using Veeam Server (Veean proxy) on-premises.
2.Importing backup data from S3 to another Veeam Server on EC2 .
3.Restore to EC2 using the Veeam Server (Veean proxy) on EC2.

I can make sizing for on-premises Veeam using calculating site.
However, Veeam Server on EC2 and proxy on EC2 are only used for restoring.

Please advise me how to make sizing for Veeam Server and proxy server only for restoring.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: The sizing of VBR&Proxy for restoring

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

There are no sizing guidelines for your scenario. The sizing of the Veeam components overall is relatively irrelevant, because the import process to EC2 is the slowest step in any case.

For the Veeam server sizing: please refer to the system requirements. Add backup server, console and repository role + 4GB RAM & 2 CPUs for the operating system.

For the proxy appliance (the one you select during restore): I would go with the default settings. The overall speed depends on the AWS data center, load in the data center and other unpredictable factors (it's the cloud :-)). If you think, it's too slow, just chose a bigger proxy appliance.

Best regards,
Hannes
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 169 times

Re: The sizing of VBR&Proxy for restoring

Post by RomanK » 1 person likes this post

Hello Keita,

In addition to the post above, I consulted with our QA team, who confirmed that nothing specific should be done in the case with EC2. In general, sizing depends on the number of tasks, therefore, following the system requirements is the best way.

Thanks.