Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

The VeeamBackup SQL Express Database

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

Except for configuration, what is the "VEEAMSQL2016\VeeamBackup" SQL Express database used for?

I have heard somewhere that in some cases it is used to store folder and file information in backups. If so, when is the database used for that?

I think that our database is dangerously large, and I don't know why. As far as I know, SQL Express has an upper size limit of 10 GB for the mdf file, and the mdf file is currently 8.3 GB (8505 MB). And in Management Studio it says that the total size is 8512 MB, and space available is 965 MB. That is after I executed a "Shrink Database".

Kind regards,
PJ
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: The VeeamBackup SQL Express Database

Post by Mildur »

Hi PJ

The database is used for every thing you find in your Veeam backup console.
- Jobs
- Configurations
- Backup metadata
- Tapes
- Job history

Especially if you have File To Tape jobs, we have to track which file (and version) is on which tape. This will blow up the database. Until v11, we have recommended to use a license MSSQL Server if your backup server was managing more than 500 objects or with File To Tape jobs configured.

If you have issues with the limited file size of the SQL Express database (10GB), consider a migration to PostgreSQL (v12 and later) or use a licensed MSSQL server.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thanks!
We do not have any File To Tape jobs, only "normal" Backup To Tape jobs.
It seems that it is a more straightforward method to migrate to another (licensed) SQL server, than to migrate to PostgreSQL.
I assume that the target SQL server can be a 2019 or 2022 server, and then the compatibility level is set to 2016?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you have already a licensed MSSQL server and knowledge how to maintain it, then go with a MSSQL server.
Just make sure to harden your MSSQL server the same way as you would harden the backup server. Attackers may leverage the tables in the MSSQL database to attack your backup server configuration.
I assume that the target SQL server can be a 2019 or 2022 server, and then the compatibility level is set to 2016?
You don't have to set a compatibility level for the database. We support Microsoft SQL Server from version 2012 till 2022.

One information about PostgreSQL: Since v12.1, new installation of Veeam Backup & Replication will only deploy PostgreSQL as a configuration database server. MSSQL is still fully supported, but won't be on the installation ISO anymore.

Migrating to PostgreSQL should also be straightforward:
- Install a supported PostgreSQL server
- Export a configuration backup
- Import a configuration backup with option migrate
- Run the command Set-VBRPSQLDatabaseServerLimits to optimize the PostgreSQL configuration for Veeam Backup & Replication

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thank you very much! :-)

Kind regards,
PJ