Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Transforming Incremental Backup Chains

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, we currently use forward incremental using synthetic fulls with periodic active fulls (once a month). We keep our restore points low (2) as files are copied to tape every. A full on the weekend starts a new week and then the previous weeks files are cleared down by veeam on the next incremental

Because of the above the repositories peak at the weekend where they are storing the previous weeks full, 6 days increments plus the next weeks full. This was expected when we chose this method but I have been looking at the option to "Transform Incremental Backup Chains into Reversed Incremental Backup Chains" as a way to leave less space in reserve for the weekend 'Peak' and make more of our repository storage.

My question is, how does this setting work when you run periodic active fulls? It seems in my testing that the job won't do the transform of previous files. Unless im missing something, that would stop me from using this setting to use extra space on the repoitories as once a month they would still need the extra space

any advice would be greatly appreciated
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transforming Incremental Backup Chains

Post by foggy »

Active full creates a completely new full backup, starting the entire chain anew. Transformation is performed after synthetic full operation only. So yes, once a month you still would need space for the second full. Thanks.
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Post by cookiejc »

Thats a shame, thanks for your reply. Would it be against best practice not to do an active full periodically then? It seems the transform function could be a useful space saving feature if you are tied into using tapes but i've read for job performance and data consistency to do active fulls
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is recommended to perform active fulls periodically.