Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
netwiztech
Novice
Liked: never

Trying to set up up off site backup copy over low bandwidth

Post by netwiztech »

I am trying to set up an off site backup copy of a backup solution for a server and have a few questions.
The site has a single Windows server 2019 hyper-V host with a single VM with all of the company's data on it.
There is a total of about 250Gb of data and less than 1Gb of changed data every day.
We are doing daily file level backups with the Microsoft agent to the Veeam B&R server running on the Hyper-V host. (using the agent because not all of the data on the server needs to be backed up and copied off site)
We are currently using the Community edition, so the WAN accelerator is not available.

I am trying to set up the system to do a backup copy to an off site NAS appliance (there is a VPN connection to the offsite location, so the NAS can be seen through the tunnel)
From what I can tell there are two different ways to set up the remote location.
Option #1, have a machine at the remote location with an iSCSI connection to the NAS, have the machine set up in B&R as a managed machine and set up a repository on it and have the "Backup Copy" write to this repo.
Option #2, set up a repository on the B&R as a NAS connection to the remote NAS appliance.

Is one option better than the other? Is there more functionality having the managed workstation that I am not seeing?

The other question is around the advanced settings in the storage area when setting up the backup.
What checks/maintenance should we be doing on the backups?
The internet connection is not the greatest. The daily changes will get pushed up to the remote location without too many issues, but if the main backup file is modified or changed, I am not sure the upload of the new/modified full backup file would successfully get uploaded.
Creating periodic synthetic backups, will that create a large file in the main location that will have to be uploaded to the remote location?
(I am pretty sure setting a periodically creating an "Active Full Backup" would create a large file that would need to be uploaded, which won't work for this location)
Should we be running "Storage Level Corruption Guard" scans on the backups? Will this maintenance create large files for resyncing to the offsite location?

Thanks in advance for any in-site or recommendation.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Trying to set up up off site backup copy over low bandwidth

Post by PetrM »

Hello,
netwiztech wrote:From what I can tell there are two different ways to set up the remote location.
I would opt for the option 1 as iSCSI is block level protocol and better write performance would be expected.

netwiztech wrote:What checks/maintenance should we be doing on the backups?
Basically, Health Check does not re-upload the full backup, it transports valid data blocks from source if corrupted ones are found in the restore points on target, please refer to this article of our help center for more details.

netwiztech wrote:Creating periodic synthetic backups, will that create a large file in the main location that will have to be uploaded to the remote location?
Backup copy has its own chain mode which works independently from source backup job chain, backup copy transfers an actual state of data from primary backup but does not simply copies backup files from source to a target. A new "synthetic" backup will not be fully transferred to a remote location, only actual data blocks will be processed, therefore it will be a usual incremental run from backup copy perspective. Please find more details about backup copy job chain modes in this section of our help center.

Thanks!