Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VinceG
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Gaspar

Two Physical B/R Servers

Post by VinceG »

I have two physical B/R servers, both servers have 50TB of local storage each, backups will leverage the disks locally, replications will reside on datastores created through vSphere and its repository. I have one server at ASIDE and one at BSIDE, I would like to run Backups/Replication through the opposing servers. example if my esx hosts/vm's are on ASide, I want to leverage the physical B/R server on the BSIDE to handle the backup and/or replication and vice versa. Is there a way to configure B/R so that both servers are aware of each others backup and replication metadata real time, so in the event I lost either one of the sites the opposing server would have all the information? Enterprise manager can see both servers the jobs, create reports, etc but doesn't appear to me to have any functions to manipulate any B/R tasks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Two Physical B/R Servers

Post by PetrM »

Hi Vince,

No, there is no special configuration for such an "active-active" topology to make both servers be aware of each other. However, I'm not sure that I understand the reason for keeping two Veeam B&R servers. You can orchestrate replications and backups on both sites from a single server and perform configuration backup. If a site is down and the server is lost, you can restore configuration on another server on another site.

Thanks!
VinceG
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Gaspar

Post by VinceG »

The reason for keeping two Veeam B&R servers is so there is no need to perform a restore of the configuration. So from what I understand there is no way to have the servers configured so that they are aware of each others activity, but instead I will need to configure all replication jobs to use the same replica repository metadata file, and then copy this frequently to the secondary server.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Vince,

I would use configuration backup which is designed especially for the case when Veeam B&R server is lost. Configuration restore should not take too much time.

Thanks!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

If you let the server in BSIDE do the backups/replications for ASIDE and vice-versa, then you'll be able to recover a failed side in case of a disaster. So there's no need real need to have one site to be aware if it's own backups.
What you could do is consolidating both Veeam environments in a single, virtualized Veeam server. This VM is then replicated between both sides and in case of a disaster you just boot your replica Veeam server manually.