Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Murigar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Two VBR one Immutable Repo

Post by Murigar »

I have a immutable repo at my DR site.
The primary site has been sending backups to it without issue.

I want to add a second VBR server at the DR site with this repo attached.
It will be attached only for the purpose of doing DR restores to local (DR) servers.
There are no backup jobs.

Is this as simple as using the same single use credential on both servers when adding the Linux server?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Two VBR one Immutable Repo

Post by Regnor »

A hardened repository can only be added to a single VBR server at the same time. If you add it to a second server, the first one will lose access.
But in case of a disaster when your primary site VBR server is offline, you can add the repository with the same credentials.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

As per @Regnor, you can find the information here for this - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

"The hardened repository cannot be shared between different Veeam Backup & Replication servers."
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Murigar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by Murigar »

Thank you for clarifying "If you add it to a second server, the first one will lose access."

I have read that as a limitation, but considered it may be implying you cannot have two VBR writing to the same immutable repo.
bct44
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times

Post by bct44 »

I'm working with a split brain (one vbr per DC) and it works.Your data mover on linux server (hardened) can operate with many VBRs but i will recommand to create many directories per repository. I will suggest to not write as the same time on the same directory/repo. Be careful with the load balancing because VBR servers can't talk together.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In fact, I wouldn't recommend sharing any repository (regardless of Immutability) between two different Veeam B&R servers. It can trigger a lot of issues when two different servers try to access the same resource simultaneously, potential problems with components update which impact the upgrade procedures, etc. Basically, the best practice is to have a single Veeam B&R server on DR site or you can use configuration backup and quickly restore from it on DR site in case of disaster with the primary one.

Thanks!
_james
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by _james » 1 person likes this post

Hello, sorry for bumping an old post, but what would be correct procedure to mount immutable repository to different Veeam server?

Currently we Immutable backups to DR site, to test we wanted to restore VM from immutable backup using a fresh Veeam server deployed at DR site. However after adding and rescanning Immutable repository to the new Veeam did not show any backups.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

It will not show the backup jobs, but you should see an "Imported" section in the console where it imported the backups on the repository.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose