Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fahdp
Novice
Liked: never

Unable to back up to a CIFS share

Post by fahdp »

Yes I know it should fly. But currently 167GB VM gets done in 6hrs. That cant be right. I take your point about VA cant run on physical and only on VM. However when I try anything on a VM ( Direct SAN, VA, or network ) it will not work for me. It might be because technically speaking, even though my storage is SAN, it is presented as a CIFS share on a Windows box. I even tried mapping a drive to the "SAN CIF" and adding it to the console. I still get an error "FAiled to create dir xxxxxxxxxx".

So I have given up now as I find it way too frustrating. I cannot understand why when using network mode on a VM it will not allow me to backup to ANY Windows share.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Unable to back up to a CIFS share

Post by Gostev »

I've split the CIFS issue into the new topic, because that would derail the original thread.

The issue here is that most likely Veeam Backup service account does not have sufficient privileges to write to the given share. Logon with this account to Veeam server, and try copying some files and folder to a share.

Regarding mapped drive, this is expected not to work because mapped drivers are per-user setting, and are available only when user is logged on interactively. Service accounts will not see those mapped drives, so services cannot interact with them.

Might be best to just open a support case and have our engineer make this work for you?

Thanks.
fahdp
Novice
Liked: never

Post by fahdp »

OK, I had to make some changes as the Veeam Backup Server and the "Windows CIFS Storage Server" were on different domains so the service account thing would make sense. Now they are both on the same domain. Questions:
1) Seeing that the SAN is not direct attached to the ESX hosts and is a Windows SAN share, can I use the Direct SAN option?
2) If not, can I use VA option?
Reason I ask it because it tried both, and I can see it tries to write some files ( so not a permission issue ). However I get error. Similar error when I try Direct SAN access.

My question is quite simple. Can VBR backup to a Windows share using aything else other than the network option? If not, then the network option is too slow and wont work for me. It is at least 4 times slower than another product, backing VM's up to the same "Windows CIF share".

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

You may want to read sticky FAQ topic, as it covers both the direct SAN access and VA modes requirements in greatest details. Also it has included the possible reasons for VA mode failures.

The selection of job processing mode does not affect what targets you can backup to. In other words, you can backup to any supported target (including CIFS share) no matter of processing mode you have selected.

If you are looking for the best performance, then I of course recommend Direct SAN Access mode, or VA mode (if direct SAN access is not possible, and your Veeam server is virtual).

I've delete the log snippets, please avoid posting those as requested when you click New Topic. If you'd like us to troubleshoot your issue, you should open a support case and provide our support with full logs instead of posting them on forum. Thanks.