Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AndyR
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Roberts

Unable to find mapping target VM

Post by AndyR »

Hey,

Am in the process of setting up two new DCs (Prod & DR) and we have gone with Veeam for backup & replication. In the past I've only used Veeam for backups so this is my first time doing replication. I've hit a bit of a snag with one VM though.

We've got 8 VMs at present in PROD and because we only have a 2mb link to DR, I copied to backups from PROD over a weekend to DR then I restored these to DR. All good. I then setup the replication job in PROD telling it to map to existing VMs etc and kicked the job off. 7 of 8 VMs completed fine, with the other VM failing saying
26/09/2012 11:09:28 PM :: Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[VMFS003_RAID5_VM2] vm01/vm01-000002.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vm01.mydomain.com];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-40];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-87];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to replicate content of the disk [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="vm01.mydomain.com"
Now I think this was caused because during the replication, a scheduled backup started in both PROD and DR for this VM so I guess this was the cause. Anyway, today I went into the replicas area and deleted from disk this VM. I then restored it again in DR and reran the replication job. All my VMs again complete except this one which now gives me:-
27/09/2012 8:15:01 AM :: Discovering replica VM Error: Unable to find mapping target VM 'vm01', ref 'vm-40'
27/09/2012 8:15:09 AM :: Error: Unable to find mapping target VM 'vm01', ref 'vm-40'
I had re-pointed it to the VM in DR for the mapping, but I noticed my replica backup repository there is no vm-40 folder. Any idea how I get this VM to replicate correctly as part of this job?

Thanks,

Andy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Unable to find mapping target VM

Post by foggy »

Andy, have you tried to re-map the replication job to the newly restored replica VM by its name (vm01)? "vm-40" is a VM moref ID, which was assigned to this VM after it was restored to the DR host, and since this ID differs from the one the previous replica VM had, the job cannot find the target VM.

Regarding the first error, please review the following KB article.

Thanks.
AndyR
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Roberts

Post by AndyR »

foggy wrote:Andy, have you tried to re-map the replication job to the newly restored replica VM by its name (vm01)? "vm-40" is a VM moref ID, which was assigned to this VM after it was restored to the DR host, and since this ID differs from the one the previous replica VM had, the job cannot find the target VM.

Regarding the first error, please review the following KB article.

Thanks.
Thanks foggy. Yeah I thought I had remapped it before running the job again. Well, I went into the job it showed OK, I did detect and it didn't find any changes. I think what I'll do is remove the mapping from the job and apply it, then reedit the job again and put the mapping back in and then rerun it to make sure it takes that way.

On the first error, we don't have IDE drives on that VM. In an attempt to fix that I removed that VM and readded it too in DR and reran the job last night. It looked to be working fine, but we had a network outage midway through which killed the job (typical) so I have to rerun again today.

Will let them run over the weekend and will update with how it goes. Thx for the help.
CWCertus1
Lurker
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Williams

Post by CWCertus1 » 4 people like this post

For anyone who was awaiting a reply and didn't get one, I have had this problem also and the issue for me was that originally, the job was seeded. Replica mappings were done to the VMs at the target site.

I then removed the option for low bandwidth from the job once the replica was up to date and all worked well for months.

However when i removed the replica VM due to issues with it, the replica job wouldn't just create a new VM, because there was still a setting held for the replica mapping.

To resolve this, I ticked the Low bandwidth option again then in the replica mapping section, I removed the mapping for the problem VM. When the job next ran, it recreated that VM at the target site no problem.

I hope this helps someone.