Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aidechoute
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Understand Encryption when backup copy to cloud

Post by aidechoute »

Hello,

I have a little question regarding Encryption.
I made an encrypted Backup copy to cloud. Pretty easy
Create a classic backup of a VM
Create a backup copy of this job with an encrypted password

If I restore the VM from the cloud on my backup server,the restore is going fine without any need to enter the encryption password==>ok understand, the password is in the database.
If I Connect my cloud backup on another veeam backup (not in the same domain / not connected on an Enterprise manager) and i try to restore this VM form the cloud, veeam don't need the Encryption password too==> Mmmmhhh why?

On the original Veeam Backup i see the little key on my backup copy to cloud job. But on the "new" veeam Backup it seems that this backup copy is not Encrypted (i don't have the little key on it)

Is it a normal way of work? For me the goal is if someone rob my cloud credential he can't restore my backup without the encrypted password.

Regards,
aidechoute
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Understand Encryption when backup copy to cloud

Post by aidechoute »

Ok I understand. My Backup copy was an incremental. I need to do an active full il order to validate the encryption.
I try and it's working
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Understand Encryption when backup copy to cloud

Post by veremin »

Correct, to make existing backup copy utilize provided encryption key you need to run active full backup first. More information can be found here. Thanks!