Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EWMarco
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Marco Glavas

Understanding dead time between items

Post by EWMarco »

Hi everyone

We are in the process of offloading hundreds of TB of data onto S3 and frankly, it could be going better.

What I keep noticing is dead times between actual offloads that obviously impact average throughput.

Can anyone explain to me why we keep seeing pauses of 6 to 15 minutes between log entries such as
09:45:09 Required backup infrastructure resources have been assigned
09:54:33 SOMEVMNAME.vm-733766D2023-02-24T002609_56BD.vbk (62.3 GB) 625.9 MB read at 46 MB/s 00:13

It becomes even more annoying when items have already been offloaded and nothing needs to be done:
09:42:58 Required backup infrastructure resources have been assigned
09:52:47 SOMEOTHERVMNAME.vm-1775179D2023-02-27T230754_5976.vib has already been offloaded, no data will be transferred to the capacity tier

You can imagine that if every VM has 7, 14, 21 or even more items to offload and the offload on average takes only a minute, the overall job duration gets extended immensely and task slots get locked for quite a while. In the latter example, we lose ten minutes per items that doesn't even need working on.

So can anybody explain to me what is happening during this pause and whether this could be optimized?

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Understanding dead time between items

Post by Mildur »

Hi Marco

The Veeam Console does not display all the tasks involved in running an offload.
All background tasks are logged in our debug logs.

To confirm that Veeam has done something, rather than just waiting, I suggest you open a support case and have our support review the logs. If there is a bug or a task enhancement required, our support will escalate your case to RnD. Please provide me with the case number so that I can track the case from the product management side.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EWMarco
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Marco Glavas

Post by EWMarco » 1 person likes this post

Case #05911830
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thank you.
I replaced your contract number with the case number.
I'm following the case from our side.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software